Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 343515253

Thread: OH Yeah

Here ya go, Dent. These are the sort of vehicle you need. These Inters were the first trucks to go from Cooktown to Weipa, in 1931. (But a couple of blokes took a car there the year before.)
    Check out the winching arrangements on the rear wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't slam the door on your way out, Tony.

I've seen series I landy's with a similar arrangement, and a little later a capstan on the front which you ran a rope around like a yachts winch, speed was governed by the amount of pressure you applied to the hemp rope.
    Come to think of it I think some early rally cars (Gelignite Jack era) had similar rear wheel winches.

At work in the '60s we had Landys with capstan winches on the front, but they were forever breaking shear pins. Also, friction on the rope often caused it to break. We winched about 10 miles in the Barrington Tops - snow, broken half shaft - and when the 3/8" wire rope went, it was like a rifle shot, and would have cut anyone standing in line with it in half.
    The capstan winces were succeeded by Olding drum winches, which, from memory, had 1/2" wire ropes with a hook.

Today it is wire or dyneema, I use the latter for halyards as there is bugger all stretch and the breaking strain for diameter is greater than wire rope, but then, so is the price.
    For memory 6mm Dyneema (or Amsteel, and another one) is about 1.4 tonnes.
    Useless for anchors as the stretch in silver rope acts as a shock absorber, not good for painters either for the same reason and puts a lot of strain on deck fittings.

Australia, but not according to the government

Good for halyards though.

Mick

reportedly its good for halyards
    Seeya,

Bob
    www.wombatsawmill.com

50 shades of grey primer....

Upper Legover - Near the centre of the universe.

Any good for the trossachs and the girnals, Iain?
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
    Bertrand Russell

No, only for halyards.

Minbun, FNQ, (In the hills behind Cairns)

No good for Vincent Van Gogh or Lindsay Norman or Peter Paul Rubens.
    Cliff
    To be used for educational and/or medicinal purposes only.

Now...that is proper hijacking

When you travel country like this it truly gobsmacks you how the old shavers did it. ...that is a tale for another time

So we leave Coen ( your father is not mister coen !!!) Heading for the Archer . Thats 65 clicks. We race there in about 4 hours.

Got breath tested and then the Constable and the Skip compare handguns.

Archer River . $18 for two instant coffees. Well that blows the skin off $85 for a block of cans at coen.

4 hour wait for water to fall enough . We had it on the top of the tyre but got across in front only behind another toyota towing a trailer with another toyota on ( a pissed ringer hit a concrete culvert at Lakeland downs and the crash tore out the transfer case along with the two shafts and other reportable damage) that could easily have been managed if all wheels were driving some hours earlier

Of all the vehicles waiting to cross the Archer . There was an Isuzu 4wd truck with " tourist body" two semi's and a metric shit load of cruisers

We were limited again to 60 or so but the road is so fucked it does not matter

Forget gulf roads for at least 2 months

Anyway we got 2 dories out of the yard ...scrubbed barnicles ..made broken shit work... the yammies started first string after months of neglect and make our way across the embley to roberts creek. And there she is . Sitting just where we left her . There is birdshit,weathering,barnacles.. one or two batteries needing some emf..one siezed fan in the snap....a jar of anzac bikkies gone mouldy... 14 clothes pegs are fucked...

The really wonderful thing is cancer can fuck off. Dent gave a promise to his Skipper to get better and go fishing again in the field of 2 solid opportunities to do something else.

He is asleep in his cot now...i know he is tired ...he is back on his boat ..he can sleep and trust me to watch

It is good to be home
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Redheads..." They will be the end of a good man, the envy of many and the sweetest thing once they are tamed"

Unknown.

We got well and truly robbed the other day. Ran out of coffee and a few minor things after being at sea fir nearly a month we took one of the doreys over the musgrave to Mapoon to visit the local store

With a docket showing

4x 2litre milks
    4x loaves of tip top white bread
    1x 500gm nescafe instant coffee (yuk)
    1x5kg bag white rice
    3x 2litre cordials
    1 packet of smokes, 1 400g peanut butter and a maple flavoured syrup

I shit you not....it came to $469
    Redheads..." They will be the end of a good man, the envy of many and the sweetest thing once they are tamed"

Unknown.

Drop the smokes, and the maple flavoured syrup ( at that price it was obviously made by bare breasted virgins on an easter sunday in a leap year)
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine."
    Abraham Lincoln

Funny thing is the smokes and the maple ( flavoured) syrup were at normal prices......I assume the Chairman is a smoker

The 500gm coffee was $63

Milk was $17.96 for 2 litres

Mapoon is easily the tidiest AB community I have ever visited. I have lived in 3 and seen scores. Aurukun, the community south of Weipa , is a freaking warzone the two places could not be more different

Unknown.

Thread Information