Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing with a wide angle

Harry,

I don't have the EFS 18-55, I use an 18-200 Tamron as a general purpose lens.

The difference between 10 and 18 is amazing, here are three shots with the 10-22 at 10, 17 and 22 plus one with the 18-200 at 18.
    All taken from the exact same spot on a tripod. Please forgive the subject and lighting, weather is not too good up here at the moment so I just photographed the first thing available.

As you can see, it is quite amazing the difference between 10 and 18, also the 10-22 at 17 looks alot better that the 18-200 at 18.

Also please not the pics were taken in P mode purely to show the different composition of the lenses, I should have played with the aperture to get the focus better.

Cheers, Jack

10-22 at 10

10-22 at 17

10-22 at 22

18-200 at 18

Here are some more, I find the 10-22 better at a bit of distance rather than close up.
    Actually, the reason I bought it is to use in portrait orientation for landscape stitches, but I don't have a very good exaple of that yet.

And I really wish I took my tripod on my last overseas trip

Cheers, Jack

Interesting, Half a stop in it. I was looking for a reason for the variance in depth of field.

I guess it's by and large in the glass, unless for some reason it focussed at a further point in the last frame?

Cheers,

P
    Quote Originally Posted by jacke View Post

10-22 at 17
    Exposure Time : 2
    F Number : 4.0
    Exposure Program : Program AE
    ISO : 400
    Focal Length : 17.0mm

18-200 at 18
    Exposure Time : 2
    F Number : 3.5
    Exposure Program : Program AE
    Focal Length : 18.0mm

Looks like there is a huge difference!

Thanks for doing that Jack... now just need to justify it to SWMBO
    Im so busy doing nothing that the idea of doing anything, which always leads to something, cuts into the nothing and then that forces me to have to drop everything

The 18-200 has a bit barrel distortion when it's wide open.
    People who dismiss the unemployed and dependent as “parasites” fail to understand economics and parasitism. A successful parasite is one that is not recognized by its host, one that can make its host work for it without appearing as a burden. Such is the ruling class in a capitalist society.
    —Jason Read

The 10-22 is a Canon and the 18-200 is a Tamron.
    I can't recall exactly but I think the Canon is roughly $500 or $600 more expensive.
    I guess that gets you a fair bit better glass

It would be interesting to test the 10-22 against the Canon 18-55, we'll have to wait for Harry to buy one

What did yo use to look up the Exif data Peter, did you just open the pic in Photoshop?

Cheers, Jack.

What did yo use to look up the Exif data Peter, did you just open the pic in Photoshop
    No, I have a little freebie droplet which works a trick for just this sort of circumstance (for Mac):
    http://xray.bmc.uu.se/markh/photos/macmetashow.html

I don't have to download the pic to my drive either I just drag the image direct from the web and drop it onto the metashow icon, and it shows all the info.

It's really handy for comparing pics, or working out how someone did what they did.

On the other hand, Photoshop's "save for web" feature strips all the exif data so most of my own pics will be blank.

That's where macmetamod comes in:

http://xray.bmc.uu.se/markh/photos/macmetamod.html

Same deal: drop the pic or batch of pics onto it, and it'll write keywords and author for you.

It's almost worth getting a Mac just so you can use them! There must be a PC equivalent though, search for "free EXIF reader" and see what you find.

Cheers,

P

I'll think I'll just get a Mac.
    Bloody hell, I'll be buying a Nikon soon.
    I remember one day telling someone that I wouldn't buy a lathe either but I've even done that

Cheers, Jack

What did yo use to look up the Exif data Peter, did you just open the pic in Photoshop?
    Photoshop will give you the Exif data but a better program all round for 90-95% of photowork is Lightroom. Any adjustments done in Lightroom are written as a set of instructions that go with the file & the original isn't touched - non-destructive. If you want to do any channel masking or other advanced stuff you just "File" > "Edit in Photoshop"
    You can also edit Exif & Metadata in Lightroom. The above info is only of any use to you if you shoot in RAW format, shooting in anything else is really a waste of time as you can't do anywhere near the adjustments & they will be destructive.
    Cheers

Major Panic

Major,

Is it a "free download" program or a "purchase" program?

Cheers, Jack

I remember one day telling someone that I wouldn't buy a lathe either but I've even done that
    To be fair, you said you wouldn't buy a lathe till you were old.

As old as me I think it was actually!

P

Jack,

I'm sure it widley available on the torrent sites.
    Cheers

Major Panic

Thread Information