Thread: Mortarless blocks for retaining wall

Default Mortarless blocks for retaining wall

Hi you lot. I'm wondering if anyone here may have any knowledge re mortarless blocks and specifically if anyone provides a 290mm to 300mm thick one (i.e. 300 x 400 x 200) as an alternative to 290 x 390 x 190 H blocks for a retaining wall. They used to be available but I'm blowed if I can find anywhere through a web search.

It's for an engineered retaining wall under my house so I've poured my slab and set the reo up for the 290mm H blocks per the drawings. The reo bars are lined up to run towards the back of the H block cavities and also so that existing structural steel posts for the house line up with the front of the cavities, so I can't just go to the 200mm mortarless blocks that are available, as either the reo bars will fall outside the blocks, or the steel uprights will, nether of which is suitable.

The reason that I'm considering mortarless blocks is because the engineer actually suggested them about six hours after I'd poured the concrete, though he wasn't aware when he did that 300mm thick blocks don't seem to be available anymore.

The retaining wall, if your scratching your head, is so that I can backfill the front yard up to the house (and get rid of my original balls up of an idea re the stepped retaining walls that are there) and then eventually build in under the house (though that's likely going to take a lotto win)

So, if anyone does know if there is such a thing as a 300mm thick mortarless block available I'd be very appreciative of hearing of them.

Bye the way, I'm in south east Qld so more interested in what might be available near there or nationally distributed.

thanks
    Greg

Australia, but not according to the government

I'm only aware of two mortarless block systems, both of them are the standard 390 x 190 x 190. Laying blocks is not overly hard, but it is pretty slow if you're not a pro. Biggest trick is to get the mortar consistency right. The other alternative might be a plastic "block" system which is basically plastic clip together formwork.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    I'm only aware of two mortarless block systems, both of them are the standard 390 x 190 x 190. Laying blocks is not overly hard, but it is pretty slow if you're not a pro. Biggest trick is to get the mortar consistency right. The other alternative might be a plastic "block" system which is basically plastic clip together formwork.

Mick
    Thanks Mick, I don't have any problems laying blocks and have done my fair share of it before, though I'm not quite as quick as an experienced blocky would be and I'm working in WA and only getting home for three days in every 3 weeks. So either need to pay a blocky to do the job while I'm away (which is what I'd planned to do but have been burnt before trusting someone to do a job without being there to keep an eye on it) or source some mortarless blocks that will suit so that I can throw them up one weekend and then fill them the next time.

I have priced up a Rediwall system, a plastic type prefinished formwork system, is that what you are referring to by plastic "block" system? It's about 34 m2 and came out at about double the cost of the proposed H block wall. About $5800 (including concrete) as opposed to about $2400 including concrete (but not labour).

Australia, but not according to the government

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    ........I have priced up a Rediwall system, a plastic type prefinished formwork system, is that what you are referring to by plastic "block" system?.........
    That's the stuff.

Mick

Loc-a-Blok have a 600x300x300 if that's any good to you. They do blank and textured. My mate used to be a rep and I remember him saying they're an expensive system though...

http://www.locabloc.com.au/600series/600s.htm

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Loc-a-Blok have a 600x300x300 if that's any good to you. They do blank and textured. My mate used to be a rep and I remember him saying they're an expensive system though...

http://www.locabloc.com.au/600series/600s.htm
    Thanks for that, I'll have a good look at their site, I'll be interested to see how they compare in price.

There's heaps of different systems - do a google for gravity block or gravity walls or even keyed block retaining walls. I built a retaining wall that was over 2m high at my old place using blocks I bought second hand from the tip for bugger all. I just had to buy the fibreglass pins and some ground reinforcing mat to tie the wall into the soil.
    I'm Interested In Apathy

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    There's heaps of different systems - do a google for gravity block or gravity walls or even keyed block retaining walls. I built a retaining wall that was over 2m high at my old place using blocks I bought second hand from the tip for bugger all. I just had to buy the fibreglass pins and some ground reinforcing mat to tie the wall into the soil.
    Pretty much what I've been doing, but none seem to come up with a 300mm option, other than the Locabloc one that silentC directed me to above.

Thread Information