Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plumbers help on Septic layout

We are on top of a source of very clean water so that could have some bearing, it follows the contours of the land and bores are at the highest points.
    During the drought it was being pumped out and sold at about $50 a load then the gumnuts stepped in to make it fair and equitable and it shot up to about $500 to cover the admin.
    We have river frontage (at the rear of the property, should that be called backage?) and about a 1km drain along the side, if affluence got into that it would make for some wealthy fish in the bay which is only about 2km by river.
    This could impact on the fish and chip industry as affluent fish would avoid the nets.
    There are small properties up the hill (east) that have sewerage as does the town (west) but cannot tap into it for some reason, the plus factor is it keeps the rates lower

Quote Originally Posted by dentuso View Post
    G'day Stix

The Midge knows his shit. So does that hairy mountain man.... the Dutch biker... Mick

The rest are just tractor drivers who are trained to use the internet

Not me ..I am special
    So there was something wrong with what I posted?

There are small properties up the hill (east) that have sewerage as does the town (west) but cannot tap into it for some reason, the plus factor is it keeps the rates lower
    The sewer and town water lines (and the green bins) stop at the bottom of my street. Where we are was only approved for development by zoning it 1A, due to lack of capacity in the sewerage infrastructure. There are about 10 houses up here. Recently the council approved another 16 blocks just down the road, all on town water and sewerage. Guess they fixed the capacity issue...

Anyway, it cost us about $20,000 to put in the water tanks and on site sewerage. That's a lot of rates, so it's probably a break even proposition. If we stay here long enough....

Ours was a bonus, we bought 16 years ago at an auction as a result of a compulsory acquisition to put a road through the middle of a 150 acre property (due for completion in 2003 and they haven't started yet).
    The council now owned the property and started to carve it up for sale and we bought our bit, the place had no septic or anything else and they gave us a certificate of occupancy, an inspector came out and foud out there was no sewerage, septic or anything else and told us we had to install a sewerage treatment plant, I pointed out we bought the property with a certificate and it fell back on them.
    Much mumbling and foot shuffling and a few red faces and within a week we had a brand new system installed as per the certificate, they are not bloody happy and we were over the moon as we were getting ready to fork out just under $20k back then, and there was sod all they could do about it

Cheers fellas, great info
    my place is 25yrs old, rural (7 ac), so septics were the go.
    Ive got some slow drainage happening to the septic, so just trying to understand what everything is and where.
    Found the septic, there is an inspection pipe next to it, when I took the lid off to check, it has what looks like a tap without a handle, appear to be between tank 1 and tank 2. What is it for??

Probably a non-return valve.

update, the tappy thingy without a handle is on the down side of second tank before leach drains i'd guess, I think it is D.B on the map

The DB is a Diversion Box. I recently had a similar set-up installed and it lets you change between leach drains. Presumably you you use one for a year(?) then divert to the other for a year. It gives them a chance to evaporate down in the year off.

Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    The DB is a Diversion Box. I recently had a similar set-up installed and it lets you change between leach drains. Presumably you you use one for a year(?) then divert to the other for a year. It gives them a chance to evaporate down in the year off.
    legend, thanks mate
    i guess I'll need to go to a plumbing supply to get the correct tool to fit the tap, its about 600mm down the 100mm pipe, too hard to get a shifter onto it.

to keep with the dirt scratcher theme, I found both tanks today.
    Who the fuck buries a septic 3 foot under ground, good work out though

Thread Information