Thread: peltier fridge

Australia, but not according to the government

Default peltier fridge

I've got one of those solid state wine fridges that runs off a peltier cooler. It seems to have stopped. It has power, but it's dead as a dodo, no lights, fans or cooling. I pulled the back off and undid the circuit board to check both sides. There's no signs of burnt or blown components, broken wires etc and I can't find a fuse or circuit breaker. Are these things repairable, and if so, what am I looking for? I did read that the chip gets less efficient over time and eventually stops cooling, but that wouldn't explain why the light and cooling fan have stopped also.

Any ideas brains trust?

I assume I'm up for a new one.

Mick

First I read it as a petite fridge. I thought 'O Mick has got a small fridge'
    I have no idea how to fix it.
    I think it might be fucked
    HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    First I read it as a petite fridge. I thought 'O Mick has got a small fridge' I did have a small fridge, now I have a small steel box with a glass door.
    I have no idea how to fix it. Neither do I
    I think it might be fucked I suspect you might be right
    HTH
    No help at all, but thanks for nothing anyway.

Mick

Minbun, FNQ, (In the hills behind Cairns)

I'd be at it with a multimeter & follow the power in til it stopped.
    Cliff
    To be used for educational and/or medicinal purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    No help at all, but thanks for nothing anyway.

Mick
    No worries, you're welcome

Our only 5 year old fridge started playing up a few weeks back. It would suddenly decide to issue an 'error condition' and stop working.
    Whereupon I'd have to drag it out from the wall and power cycle it to get it going again.

So I called a a repairer to come and check it out. $70 call out fee and $25/15 minutes. He Googles the error code and goes 'the control board has an error condition. It's probably fucked'
    So he orders a new board $250 and comes back a few days later to fit it. Another $70 call out fee and $25/15 mins.
    Anyway, the fridge is all good again now and it was a lot cheaper than having to buy a new fridge I guess but I reckon that the control board should have lasted longer that 5 years.

Remember when fridges just had a thermostat and a compressor?

Control board probably has a self destruct mechanism when warranty has expired.
    I have 2 peltier effect fridges, both heat as well and one is well over 30 years old and still working although it never had a thermostat so it freezes everything after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    I'd be at it with a multimeter & follow the power in til it stopped.
    Ok, did that. I did find a fuse, didn't recognise it as one originally as it was black(ened) , had a huge blob of glue over it and was soldered into the board. 2.5A glass fuse, with little cups soldered onto the ends and the legs of the cups soldered into the board. They weren't planning on anyone replacing the fuse methinks. I'll run into Jaycar and get a fuse holder and fuse and use some short lengths of wire to attach it to the board.

It's immediately after where the active wire plugs into the board, so obviously no power going anywhere. Of course, it could be that I go to all this trouble and the fuse will blow immediately because of a fault somewhere down the line. We did have some power outages in the area while we were in Tassie, so I'm guessing/hoping there was an accompanying surge which caused the fuse to blow.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    We did have some power outages in the area while we were in Tassie, so I'm guessing/hoping there was an accompanying surge which caused the fuse to blow.
    In that case claim it through Ergon.
    Cheers, Jack

Malcolm for PM.

Thread Information