My run is over.

My run is over, I’m going back to work.

An opportunity I couldn’t pass up has landed in my lap and I’m heading to PNG on a 15/13 roster, 12 month contract.

To be honest I am looking forward to it, “working” from home is great but there are things I miss about being on a proper site.

It will be a bit tough on my little family but I’m sure we will be ok.

Paperwork has started but in can take between 2 and 4 months to get over there.

last edited by Enter Username
administrators

That’s great. 'bout time you got a real job. :grinning:

I know how you feel, in worked from home for 15 years and in the end I was just over it. There is something about being part of something that you miss when working by yourself.

What’s ‘work’ ? ;-)

administrators

How can I put this politely? Get fucked?

I’m going to work for 6 months a year, it will be tough ;)

The best thing is that wifey is only working 0.5 at the moment so we will have at least a week every time i’m home to do family things.

The job is described as herding cats.

Only supervisory positions are expat, all the workers are locals.

I guess you’ll be driving the new truck to work then.

:laughing:

Have started running the numbers on whether i can retire at 55, or if i did can i live on what i will have.

Once this current job is over, notionally permanent but things change, not sure i will want to work again.

@Enter-Username said in My run is over.:

The job is described as herding cats.
Only supervisory positions are expat, all the workers are locals.

That sounds like any job in PNG. All sorts of local enmities and alliances that you won’t know about. Some really smart people who, one day, will get on the spak and do something stupid and expensive. People who you think are really dumb, who will one day save your arse.
Have fun.

@tqft said in My run is over.:

Have started running the numbers on whether i can retire at 55, or if i did can i live on what i will have.

Once this current job is over, notionally permanent but things change, not sure i will want to work again.

The numbers are terrifying. Of course you can’t afford it. But do it anyway.

Be warned though, you won’t have time to do anything once you stop work.

I retired at 45 , lasted 3-4 months and got head hunted for a little part time work, got offered heaps of part time work , different jobs but they all turned into full time, like the Tafe wanted me to do a class on tanker endorsement, only 4 lectures over 1 week. Ended up 3 years later doing 5 days a week for 28 week semesters.
Enough was enough, the money was good but.

!8 years later and I started work again last week, only for 3 weeks twice a year, but we’ll see.

If you don’t owe money , mortgage etc, No drug problems in the family, no gambling problems , and you have a good relationship with your partner then as midge said, do it.

I think that’s the secret, work is a bit like being pregnant - you can’t be a “little bit in the workforce” :laughing:

I’ve worked pretty well full time since I retired 13 years ago. On my last day of full time work, I was offered a short term contract for some very interesting work. Then I started full-time woodworking, but each year did some training & other work for various organisations. Then TAFE chased me, so I did one day a week with them for a few years. After that, I kept on marking assignments from home, until TAFE was fucked over by O’Farrell, Baird and co.
At first I found it hard to take time off from the woodworking - it took me a while to realise that it was just a hobby that gave me beer money, and if I wanted to I could take time off.
Funny thing is, now I see jobs advertised and think how nice it would be to go back to work for a while - there are exciting things happening. Trouble is that in the last few years technology has moved on so much and I haven’t kept up.

Had 3 recruitment enquiries in the last week, they would need to at least double my salary tp get me out of there

@Shy-Ted said in My run is over.:

Funny thing is, now I see jobs advertised and think how nice it would be to go back to work for a while - there are exciting things happening.

Strangely enough I am head hunted from time to time - I guess that’s because I’ve been away from what I did long enough for them to have forgotten! :laughing:

Last year the offer was a big one, and very tempting, and then I thought…

0_1497178440584_April-29.jpg
Nah…

I retired at 55 and lasted 2 weeks so I started an importing business with fly fishing equipment the reasoning being that I could now get more time on trips to fly fish and visit potential buyers.
Well, that blew up in my face and I spent a lot of time travelling around some beautiful trout country visiting customers and never wet a bloody line.
Lasted a few years then got a small contract converting film speed cameras to digital (I’m sure you don’t want to thank me).
8 years ago I was head hunted for a psych position for three months, I’m still here but only work 10-12 hours a week by way of a week on and a week off, suits me just fine and we can live comfortably without hitting my super giving me time to maintain the property, buy new tractor bits, learn how to mig weld and fall over and fuck my back.

Got to say I have been approached to work every year since I Gave the sea away,
Last year was the slowest , only one job offer.

The present job I’m doing a friend suggested I apply for, so not head hunted.
It covers the needs, I get out, mix with a heap of people, is a doddle, gives me satisfaction at the end of the day and is only a few weeks twice a year.

I’m 41 so probably should still be working at least a little.

Wifey has been on half pay for a few years now and I haven’t exactly been raking it in.

We are still doing pretty well financially but this will enable us to do a few more things we want to do and set up some more passive income for the coming years.

This isn’t about the money though, I just need a change for a while.

Perhaps it is a little about the money, I need some new toys ;)

I faq’n hate computers.

Not doing many calls any more, the ones I do, I hate.
Sick of it up to my ears, industry is just full of shit.

If I could just do networking jobs, I’d be happy but I need to be in a City, not woop woop up the bush.

I could get a bit of network stuff up here if I worked sub-contract for a big company but they are a mob of kuntz that want you to respond within 4 hours, work for shit money & then take 100 days to pay.

I’m trying to get part time work in a hardware shop & then I can give the computer stuff away altogether.

@Cliff-Rogers said in My run is over.:

I’m trying to get part time work in a hardware shop & then I can give the computer stuff away altogether.

Met a GP who had a gutfull and started selling doughnuts on the side of the road 5 days a week, he was as happy as a pig in shit.

There was a bloke who trained as a Rad Tech in the RAAF retrained as a Doc once he got out, went working in communities & didn’t like it so dropped it & went back to uni again, I can’t remember what he changed to but the last time I saw him he was care taking a farm.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.