Almost finished the bedroom
administrators

Just have to put wardrobe doors on and give it a paint job. Just waiting for the final coat of render is fully dry.

Put vinyl planks down for flooring. Quite like 'em and pretty easy to lay. Looks like wood but much harder wearing which is a requirement when you have three dogs.

0_1497356261195_Bedroom.jpg

@dog I think you are the only person in the world with a longer house project than mine! Nearly there and BTW the vinyl looks perfect from this angle!

administrators

Don’t want to rush things.
It was very show going there for about 4 years. The last two I’ve actually made some progress.

You 2 should form a support group.:laughing:

administrators

@wongo said in Almost finished the bedroom:

You 2 should form a support group.:laughing:

We have, this place is it.

@bitingmidge said in Almost finished the bedroom:

@dog I think you are the only person in the world with a longer house project than mine! Nearly there and BTW the vinyl looks perfect from this angle!

Umm, I have been going since 2005…

administrators

Yup, never saw the need to rush these things

Bought my first house in 2002 and while it didn’t (structurally) need any work I did have grand plans for improvements. Not much happened until after my first wife passed away in 2007, priorities, time, money etc. From about '09 until we moved out in 2013 I managed to reshape the front yard, build a double carport, concrete the front apron, extend a bedroom onto a verandah, build a new hall cupboard/reshape a bedroom wall and add a built in robe, mostly renovate a bathroom, knock up a fence to separate the back yard from my workshop and half build a second bathroom on the verandah. When we moved out I managed to: knock out the laundry and add the space to the lounge area; mostly finish the kitchen; practically finish the 2nd bathroom/laundry; gyprock all the interior walls, fit timber jambs and archs to all windows and doors, paint the interior, tile the interior and lay most of the pavers to the front patio area all in six weeks.
In the ensuing 4 years all I’ve managed is to do some more pavers, add a shade cloth to the patio area, fit all the drawer fronts and panels to the kitchen cabinets and tile the kitchen splashbacks.

I still want/need to finish the paving, add another shade cloth (needs another through-roof post fabricated) finish all the little jobs, render the outside block walls (maybe even stone facing to the front of the house) and tidy up the yard before I can sell it. At the current rate of progress I might just get it finished in time to retire.
I’m kinda over building, I think I’ve done enough for one lifetime.

Mick

@Cliff-Rogers Crumbs, I haven’t finished three houses in that time!

We started renovating/updating our current house when we bought it in 2001. It’s been constant and we are now back at the beginning - part way through painting and flooring the first room we started on in 2001.

administrators

Ah suffering from the Sydney Harbour Bridge Syndrome.

Nice flooring Dog.
We are going to do our entire house in vinyl planks.

After a lot of thinking and planning our renovations are about to start.

That’s why I’m going back to work.

The entire job will probably drag on a bit but we will be doing each part in stages, i.e. On my blocks of 13 days off we will tackle a section at a time.

With the kids we can’t really have unfinished parts.

That being said we are tackling the kitchen/living area first which means knocking down some walls, adding others, blocking up some windows and adding others etc before we can install the kitchen.

That might take a bit of time.

Once that is done we will move on to the new build of garage, laundry and powder room which incorporates a new entrance.

This is our 9th house and I am over renovating, started the kitchen in 2003 and it’s almost finished, it almost needs replacing but I’m buggered if I’m doing it again.

administrators

@Enter-Username said in Almost finished the bedroom:

Nice flooring Dog.
We are going to do our entire house in vinyl planks.

After a lot of thinking and planning our renovations are about to start.

That’s why I’m going back to work.

The entire job will probably drag on a bit but we will be doing each part in stages, i.e. On my blocks of 13 days off we will tackle a section at a time.

With the kids we can’t really have unfinished parts.

That being said we are tackling the kitchen/living area first which means knocking down some walls, adding others, blocking up some windows and adding others etc before we can install the kitchen.

That might take a bit of time.

Once that is done we will move on to the new build of garage, laundry and powder room which incorporates a new entrance.

We looked at a number of different brands of vinyl planks and chose Karndean.

This is the one we chose.
http://www.karndean.com/en-au/commercial-flooring/products/llp109-stamford

0_1497601651051_LLP109-Web_-_Stanford_2048x2048.png

We paid about $60 per square metre. We got quotes from places like Carpet Court (franchise chain) and it was $75 per metre and $30 per metre laid. It’s a piece of piss to lay so do it yourself. Just takes a little thinking and care.

Stay away from the Bunnings planks. We looked at some of the brands at Hardly Normal and thought the Karndean was better. Entirely subjective of course.

Karndean was one of the ones we looked at, that was a while ago and we need to check them out again.

We were quoted $100 laid and have 200 square meters :cry:

Ours is going over tiles so needs a backer board but if I can get it for $60 per metre that would be good.

Where did you buy from?

administrators

We got them from here. https://ascbuildingsupplies.com.au

I think you can order them online. They are made in Victoria.

@JMick How do you start to live again? how long does it take?

@quqkityquakquak said in Almost finished the bedroom:

@JMick How do you start to live again? how long does it take?

Care to add some more detail or context to this question? Not entirely sure of what you are asking. Given your previous postings I’m not sure if a serious reply is warranted, but I’m prepared to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Mick

We moved into our place 24 years ago on the 16th of next month. SWMBO looked at me and said “I hate orange Formica, this kitchen has to go, It’s 12 years old anyway”.

Well you know how it goes, there’s always something else to do. I just reckon it’s incredible how long Formica bench tops last.:smile:

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.