I thought, since my carefully documented build is soon to be relegated to the internet scrap heap, I’d start again from where I left off:
On the 20th of April 2014 on a thread somewhere I posted this:
**As some of you are aware, I once had a nicely appointed place in which to doodle with tools and whatever took my fancy. My tools were neatly stored, mostly clean and sharp and life was quite pleasant during those times when I wanted to hide from the world.
That was then and this is now.
For the last three summers I have been making do with a black hole of a space under our house. Tools have become progressively more rusty, and more broken, the place more depressing and despairing. On the other hand, tools have also become more worn from use as I’ve been working pretty much full time on the reno, but it’s all out of hand.
So the plan is to start on the workspace fit out when we get back in November, and I have a month to pack things away to get some semblance of order.
In order to distract myself, from the job in hand (designing the new dust extraction system), I thought I start this thread.
Watch this space.
This was followed up immediately (in Midge time) five days later with this:
**Major, I am starting the dust system first this time… well I’ve found where I stashed the gates for the old one anyway.
Wongo, there is plenty of dust on these tools, most of them are worn out, but it’s mostly from misusing them, cutting concrete formwork and things like that. I currently don’t have a combination of belts, motors or broken bits to cobble together a belt sander for instance, out of the four I own.
But settle back for a looong ride anyway!
Let’s start with the blank canvas we took on three years ago. As you can see, it’s a nicely finished patchwork of textures and has a fully tiled floor - three different tiles and four tile patterns. There’s plenty of space, but some of it has to eventually turn into house/studio space and of course some of it has to house the car.
But this is where we began:-
Now it looks like this:- (Cute vintage effect to disguise poorly exposed out of focus pictures.)
It’s actually a big black hole, so I’ve set about installing twelve double fluorescent troffer light fittings that will be flush with the ceiling, (I’ll have a ceiling painted white) even thought it’s a bit low, and will rebuild the bathroom upstairs to get the shower and bath wastes out of the way.
I’ve already replaced the purple/blue roller door with a frightfully expensive aluminium and polycarbonate one, which helped the light situation no end.
Next we’ll have a bit of a tidy up and try to get all the furniture back on its feet, but after that:
New partitions will be ply sheeted, exposed brick bagged and painted (white) floor either epoxied or polished concrete - both solutions are cheaper and easier than trying to fix the tiles, many of which are cracked or broken and all of which are 'orible.
None of this happens this year of course, so I can create a long list, but I hope to build new cupboards -realistically the next move will be to somewhere suitable for old people, so smaller, lighter, not built-in cabinets that can fit around the edge of a single car garage are the go.
So there you go.
After the clean, nothing to happen till November!