Alas by January 2017, things had taken a slight backward step:
Yeah well,the shed’s going well. Thought I’d get stuck in this month, then discovered to get the back wall in I really had to rebuild the bathroom and laundry, and to get the power points where I wanted 'em I needed walls, and once there are walls I need plasterboard to make the wires safe. Then of course I can’t get the skirting on until after the floating floor goes down, and we need a ceiling as well to hang the light fittings from.
Day four, the tiles are jacked up and at the tip, the ceiling is in a neat pile marked “asbestos do not breath”, the bathroom walls (well the bathroom really) have disappeared, and if I can get a grinder over the weekend the floor will be ready to start framing on Monday.
Looks like the shed will have to wait till next year.
So where can we get an “ectoplasm bunny” T-shirt? I’m sure that it’s far more likely that I’ll be seen walking down George street, wearing one of them, very much alive, than it is that I’ll see your completed dust extraction system.
Mind you, your dust extraction system being completed is now far more likely than mine being completed since I’ve decided to take most of my machines to work with a view to using them to actually do a couple of jobs for myself (bedside tables, hall table) before (hopefully) selling them to school.
A lot of water has passed under a lot of bridges since that photo was taken, and we’ve been on a boat going under most of them.
But, we have a working laundry, bathroom tile waterproofing happening today, the rest of the tiles are being stripped out of the garage and shed tomorrow - after taking 50m2 out with my super Ozito jack hammer, and grinding the slab above, someone else is doing the next 50!
Tiles next week.
Shed ceiling is in finished and lit, I’ve rendered (bagged) the exposed brick, and just need to line the walls once the tiles are in. Realistically, since we have to go back to our other home next month - we may not get started on the dust collection system, but I can almost smell the end of the reno work after five years.
Watch this space.
Progress, although now I’m not sure whether it’s a shed or a gay bar.
and here’s the beginning of something. It’s not what you think, so breath easy. Actually it’s there so you can breath easy - I have a pair of 10" 600cfm fans, one of which will be attached to the outside by this pair of 6" outlets - should go a long way to removing that fine airborne dust. Not that I’d know much about that.
And you know this from trying it out? KTM does manage to wring lots of ponies out of their motors. They tend to be a mite less long lived or reliable than some of their competitors but they do go hard. I’m lusting after their new 2 stroke road registerable enduro bike. Transfer port fuel injection, oil injection, balancer shaft, more than a foot of suspension travel at both ends, 6 speed box, 112 kg with a full tank and at least 50 ponies. Would chew through the back tyre very quickly but more than offset by the limited wear on the front due to it spending lots of time up in the air. Just need to have a small lotto win!
Finally finished the shed garden structures today - I dug the first holes four years ago. If you look carefully in the above pic, you’ll see a glimpse of it through the back door. Actually that’s through the back door via the bathroom (two way) and laundry, but anyway the last of the lattice panels is up and waiting for the passionfruit vine to recover from its vigorous prune.
I’m thinking about naming the joint “Sleeper World”
Hmmm, might copy the curved sleeper stairs at the rental.
They are a little complicated… the maths is simple enough, when you know the outer radius of the stair, calculate the perimeter of a circle of that radius, and divide by 200mm to get the number of sleepers that will fit around the perimeter, then calculate the perimeter of a circle 1200 less (or the width of the stair) and divide by the number of sleepers - this will give you the width of the sleeper at the narrow end.
All you have to do is rip the resulting wedge of each sleeper (in my case 17mm) and look what happens!
Because I only want to do it once, I didn’t lay them on the ground either (they are H3), I used H4 fence posts as joists and bits of old water pipe as posts bolted to the joists. Beneath them is excavated to keep the bearers above the ground.
They look good though.
Because I only want to do it once…
I’ll only be doing it once also, not long before I sell the place. Will probably just lay them on sleepers dug into the ground and laid on pads of concrete. There is a pre-existing curved retaining wall I need to follow. Its curve is of varying radius so I’ll probably just chuck the sleepers on the ground with one end touching the curve and then overlap them to see how much I need to rip off. Will be a good workout for the 9" saw which hasn’t seen much action for a few years now…