Midges Dust Extraction System - the blog

So what’s the story with the katoom?

Mick

Belongs to the kid who used to live next door. He went off to the army and I said it couldn’t stay unlocked in his mum’s carport, so now I have this giant bit of decoration - it’s the 390 and goes just about as hard as any motorbike needs to!

Cheers,

P

@Joker all that limewashed ply has gone a beaut pinky colour (as it tends to do). I’m sure you’d love it in person!

@bitingmidge
And you know this from trying it out? KTM does manage to wring lots of ponies out of their motors. They tend to be a mite less long lived or reliable than some of their competitors but they do go hard. I’m lusting after their new 2 stroke road registerable enduro bike. Transfer port fuel injection, oil injection, balancer shaft, more than a foot of suspension travel at both ends, 6 speed box, 112 kg with a full tank and at least 50 ponies. Would chew through the back tyre very quickly but more than offset by the limited wear on the front due to it spending lots of time up in the air. Just need to have a small lotto win!

Mick

Finally finished the shed garden structures today - I dug the first holes four years ago. If you look carefully in the above pic, you’ll see a glimpse of it through the back door. Actually that’s through the back door via the bathroom (two way) and laundry, but anyway the last of the lattice panels is up and waiting for the passionfruit vine to recover from its vigorous prune.

I’m thinking about naming the joint “Sleeper World”
0_1502105425832_DickyWorld-15.jpg

last edited by bitingmidge

Is it not somewhat unseasonable for you to be working on the house & not the boat?

administrators

I’m with you Midge, don’t see a need to hurry.

Good work

@bitingmidge said in Midges Dust Extraction System - the blog:

I’m thinking about naming the joint “Sleeper World”
0_1502105425832_DickyWorld-15.jpg

Noice!
Hmmm, might copy the curved sleeper stairs at the rental.

Mick

@JMick said in Midges Dust Extraction System - the blog:

Hmmm, might copy the curved sleeper stairs at the rental.

They are a little complicated… the maths is simple enough, when you know the outer radius of the stair, calculate the perimeter of a circle of that radius, and divide by 200mm to get the number of sleepers that will fit around the perimeter, then calculate the perimeter of a circle 1200 less (or the width of the stair) and divide by the number of sleepers - this will give you the width of the sleeper at the narrow end.

All you have to do is rip the resulting wedge of each sleeper (in my case 17mm) and look what happens!

Because I only want to do it once, I didn’t lay them on the ground either (they are H3), I used H4 fence posts as joists and bits of old water pipe as posts bolted to the joists. Beneath them is excavated to keep the bearers above the ground.

They look good though.

Because I only want to do it once…

I’ll only be doing it once also, not long before I sell the place. Will probably just lay them on sleepers dug into the ground and laid on pads of concrete. There is a pre-existing curved retaining wall I need to follow. Its curve is of varying radius so I’ll probably just chuck the sleepers on the ground with one end touching the curve and then overlap them to see how much I need to rip off. Will be a good workout for the 9" saw which hasn’t seen much action for a few years now…

Mick

Will be a good workout for the 9"

Anything bigger than seven and a quarter is a bit scary for my skinny little arms!

Will be a good workout for the 9"

Anything bigger than seven and a quarter is a bit scary for my skinny little arms!

pffft, you need to try a 16 5/16" Makita 5402NA:

alt text

Mick

No I don’t!

Although I have a slab here where the (aging) concretor cut the expansion joint with a 10 diamond blade fitted to an eight inch grinder - no guards and the blade spinning a couple of inches from the inside of his elbow. I asked him not to, but he just called me a sook… I guess that had ME covered in the event of an accident. Covered in blood probably if I’d stood around, but call me squeamish, I couldn’t watch.

Yeah, not good. You may have noticed in the pic above that the operator has retracted the bottom guard by hand, as you do, when you are cutting at an angle, leaving the entire bottom of the blade exposed. I shudder to think what would happen in the case of a kickback, it would probably disembowel him!

Mick

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.