Pauline in the poo again

When I went to school in the 70’s there were ‘special schools’ for ‘those kids’. My kids had special needs kids integrated in their classes in the 90’s, and I think they had much more acceptance overall than we did. As a teacher in HS kids are quite accepting of special needs kids - less so of 'rangas and fat kids which is a shame. People with a range of challenges are part of society as a whole, so why not prepare kids in school to be compassionate citizens. If you need to know something about a topic just find the right kid with Aspergers or Autism. As an aside, I know a few teachers who are definitely on the spectrum. There is strength in that single-minded focus.

@Castaway said in Pauline in the poo again:

just find the right kid with Aspergers or Autism.

All the same thing now and covered under the big umbrella of broad spectrum autism, the ‘broad spectrum’ was introduced some years ago although still refer to one group as Aspergers Syndrome.
A bit like Manic Depression, now Bi-polar disorder with wider boundaries, not one of my specialities but Autism is.
Sorry for being a sanctimonious pedant…

@bunyipS said in Pauline in the poo again:

A bit like Manic Depression, now Bi-polar disorder with wider boundaries, not one of my specialities but Autism is.

Not quite , Manic Depression is totally different to Bi Polar
Some people with Bi-Polar can suffer Manic Depression , but not everyone who has manic depression has Bi-Polar, something I have studied for the last 20+ years

administrators

I know nothing about educating children with Autism and my only experience with standard classrooms was my own in the '60s and '70s. There was plenty of disrupters.

However, there has been plenty of studies that say having special needs kids in inclusive classrooms is better for everyone.

Hanson claimed that students with disability have a negative impact on their peers. Yet international research shows otherwise. Some research suggests students with disability have no impact on the learning of other students – whether they are present or not.

Other research shows that students appear to benefit from having disabled peers. They develop greater appreciation for human diversity and capacity for positive relationships.

Hanson also claimed that students with disabilities were better served in separate classrooms or schools. Evidence shows the converse is true. Decades of research has concluded that students with disabilities who learn in inclusive classrooms make far greater progress.

The Conversation

It may well be better that " students with disabilities who learn in inclusive classrooms make far greater progress.", her argument was , (or from her speech I gathered this is what she meant) that students with disabilities who learn in inclusive classrooms make it harder for children without disabilities to learn at the same rate as their peers in classes without students with disabilities .

Now I don’t know what 'International Research", “other Research” or “Decades of research” you are referring to , but I’m sure if asked you could produce pages and pages of Graphs and cherry picked articles to show your right.

Now without spending hours on the net where all that is published is without question, I actually listened to talkback radio and realized this is a problem with two sides, anecdotal as it is and yes the radio has a certain sector of the community who listen and another who voice their opinion. The majority ( and they appeared to be a reasonable cross section , supposedly teachers, parents grandparents etc ) who had experienced first hand and not read all the research, were agreeing that there is a problem and the present methods are not giving the best education results across the board.

As I said I don’t know the answer but to marginalize some kids education for the benefit of a few and not have their parents want a better answer, is a perfect world dream. Trouble we don’t live in a perfect world.

administrators

For fuck sake look at the article. There are links to the research. The article was written by a professor and a researcher.

Do you just dismiss evidence if it doesn’t meet your world view?

administrators

Almost everyone is ignorant on almost every subject.

This is why I go to sites like the The Conversation or to sites by institutions such as NASA where the details of the research has be distilled down into something I can understand. These all have references to the actual research.

This is how I learn things that are most likely to be correct.

Talk back radio, which I do listen to, is interesting but I don’t rely on the anecdotal evidence that is said because of the first sentence of this post. There are experts who speak about items and I will give them greater weight on any subject.

Uninformed opinion is just that, uninformed.

Reading article by experts in a field can make informed, at least from a layman’s point of view.

Professor and a researcher be fucked, my Daughter inlaw is a deputy head of a primary school with disabled kids in with the standard kids in the classes, I’ll take horses mouth information from her before one of Dogs so called experts.

@tolovar said in Pauline in the poo again:

Not quite , Manic Depression is totally different to Bi Polar

It changed several years ago to avoid the confusion with the word ‘depression’ so as not to confuse it with clinical depression.
https://psychcentral.com/lib/whats-the-difference-between-depression-and-manic-depression/

administrators

@Termite

Ah such distain for evidence and science. A sample size of one is completely useless from a statistical point of view.

Of course you won’t believe anything that doesn’t fit b your world view.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.