Needs more packaging.....

Our toaster shit itself recently. Mrs Mick went looking for a replacement and decided on a model only to be told it wasn’t in stock but that one could be sent to us for no extra cost and that it would arrive “in a couple of days”. There was no extra cost but it took about two weeks to arrive.

I picked it up from the post office today and thought that the packaging might have been overdone. The toaster was packaged in its normal retail box which contained the usual recycled cardboard protection but then that box was wrapped in acres of bubble wrap and placed in an even larger box. It shits me to tears that we have to replace a toaster that’s less than a decade old (I think all appliances should last at least a decade at a minimum) but the amount of waste is exacerbated by the excess packaging.

The planet is going to hell in a handbasket, or at least, all of its resources are being dug up and huge amounts of energy consumed in order to turn it all into crap which is dead and buried a short time later.

I can’t remember our toasters as a kid but I know my parents only ever owned three fridges and two vacuum cleaners in all my time. With all the improvements in technology we should have appliances that last longer, way longer.

Rant over.

Mick
0_1498722370365_P6290169.JPG

Dunno what I’m doing wrong, I rotated the pic but it still comes out sideways.

@JMick said in Needs more packaging.....:

Dunno what I’m doing wrong, I rotated the pic but it still comes out sideways.

It works OK if you click on it!

We are on our fourth fridge, but only because we left one of them in the last house. On our second vacuum cleaner too, so your oldies were right on the money.

Usually we pay a lot for good stuff and keep it for a long, long time. Our toaster is heading for 43 years old and I’ve hated it that whole time, the blasted thing just won’t die. Packaging is not confined to toasters though - look at every food product…

I suspect that having to replace a toaster is something of a first world problem made worse by the waste.

Going through the process of trying to buy a secondhand car for my daughter, I can see the advantage of throw-away mentalities!

@bitingmidge said in Needs more packaging.....:

Usually we pay a lot for good stuff and keep it for a long, long time.

That’s the plan here, but it seems nowadays that you pay a lot for stuff that looks good but still dies after a few years. When we last replaced our microwave Mrs Mick confused (and probably aggravated) the salesman when she asked which one would last the longest. Apparently that’s not an aspect that is considered important by anyone now.

Mick

administrators

Solving this problem is really quite simple. For companies to include the price of disposal and environmental damage of both packaging and the product itself in the purchase price. Those items that are built to be reparable would get a discount as would products with a really long lifespan.

The environmental cost of plastic bags would mean that they would be priced out of the market.

@dog said in Needs more packaging.....:

Solving this problem is really quite simple. For companies to include the price of disposal and environmental damage of both packaging and the product itself in the purchase price. Those items that are built to be reparable would get a discount as would products with a really long lifespan.

The environmental cost of plastic bags would mean that they would be priced out of the market.

Great! How can we make that happen? :confused:

Mick

Mick

Political will
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_recycling#Europe

administrators

Mick

That’s the hard bit

Conversely I received a new lens from a local supplier, was a big cardboard box and the lens was in it’s factory box with what could best be described as an air filled lifejacket/bladder around it, laser cartridges come in a similar drop proof package.
At the end of the day all I had to dispose of was a box and a few grams of plastic.

Best packaging shock absorber I’ve seen is popcorn. Mate of mine who fixes and tunes pianos got all his stuff in cardboard boxes full of popcorn. All got tipped out on the lawn for the birds to eat.

Mick

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.