Off work for a couple of weeks........

I injured myself at work (state school) shifting a desk a few years ago - a hernia popped out next to my navel. Went to the local doctor at the time and he said it was nothing to worry about and wouldn’t even give me a certificate for light duties for my other job at Bunnings (arsehole). Anyway after I left that job, which was a warzone, I actually had more time to think about things and it started to bother me, both physically and psychologically.

Anyway, I contacted workcover and they told me that since I hadn’t made a claim within six months of the injury I wasn’t covered. As part of my job now I spend a bit of time reading legislation, so after reading the applicable act I wrote to the regulator and pointed out that the act required Workcover to treat me fairly and that neither my employer nor workcover had informed me of the need to claim within six months I wasn’t treated fairly. The regulator agreed and Workcover is covering my treatment and time of work.

Went into the private hospital yesterday morning (first time in my life I’ve been admitted to hospital) and had the op around 11am. Woke up a few hours later totally spaced out in a fair bit of pain. Got discharged about 11 this morning and now at home, feeling rather uncomfortable. Been taking Targin, oxycodone and paracetamol regularly. Pain is mostly under control, but gets a bit very uncomfortable at times. Coughing needs to be avoided!

Not allowed to drive for at least a week, probably won’t be able to get on the bike for a month, luckily I had a good ride last Friday, the first time I’ve ridden off road since I hurt my knee in January. Also the first time I’ve gone offroad since I upgraded the suspension - new springs front and rear, added gold valves to the forks. Still a big heavy bike off road but at least it doesn’t bottom out all the time and actually handled some vicious whoa-boys really well.

Will keep myself busy by finally getting around to doing all the assignments for the cert IV WHS I started last year. Missed the last week of school and had a week of face to face and also managed to finish a few of the twenty odd assignments that are also required. Not sure if I’m making much sense as I still feel a bit foggy, butb this is the shed after all.

Mick

Get better as soon as Mick. :)

Meanwhile,…at least you have oxycodone ;)

Currently very uncomfortable. Have taken all the drugs I’m allowed and am still in pain. Feels like my abs have been injected with cement and have set in a bent forward position. Won’t be going to sleep for a while I don’t think.

Mick

Bugger, hope it gets better soon.

I found half an hour on a pogo stick took my mind off it.

I feel your pain - I got a coughing flu the night I was released from hospital and spent two days sitting upright hugging a pillow very tightly, while launching into coughing fits!

Anything less has to be good! :laughing:

Hope it’s better soon, Mick. On the other hand, if you can fake the pain for a while…link text

Agree with you there Ted, I’m on Oxy for my back and at least 3 people have advised me of the value of them. Stuf them, they’re worth more than gold to me.

I’ve got a full box of oxycodone, any offers before I put them on ebay.
I put up with the pain when I buggered my back but kept them as a standby in case it got worse, I recall the side effects from Panadeine Forte and decided these would be an absolute last resort.

Pain is under control now. Still there, but manageable. Managed to sleep for about 5 hours. Haven’t had any oxycodone since late last night. The Targin is a form of oxycodone with an additive that’s meant to alleviate the constipation. 2 of those every twelve hours plus paracetomol seems to be doing the trick. I’m bloody itchy as though.

Have maps out and am starting to plan my trip to Tassie to take my mind off things. Work is giving me the last week of school off to visit two other schools in Noosa and Samford to see how they do things. Will have the Friday of the 2nd last week off to start the ride down. Basically get three days to ride to Noosa so will do as much dirt detour as possible. Will follow the coast from Sydney down as I’ve never seen the south coast of NSW and I believe it’s quite picturesque. Not sure of the rest of my route, open to any and all suggestions. Never been west of the divide in NSW so want to head that way on the way home.

I know about the black market in opiates from when my late wife was terminal and consuming large amounts of them - her doctor joked or perhaps hinted to me that I could sell them for a lot if I wanted to. She knew we were doing it very tough financially.

If there’s any left they will go into my emergency stash - just in case.

Thankfully, while there’s been the threat of a few coughing fits they haven’t eventuated - even clearing my throat hurts and I hiccuped a couple of times last night after swallowing meds and even that hurt!

Mick

administrators

@bitingmidge said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

I feel your pain - I got a coughing flu the night I was released from hospital and spent two days sitting upright hugging a pillow very tightly, while launching into coughing fits!

So? I’ve got a man-flu. I think it’s terminal.

@dog said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

@bitingmidge said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

So? I’ve got a man-flu. I think it’s terminal.

It’s definitely life threatening!

I find hot ouzo consumed at regular intervals plus panadol 4 times a day eases the symptoms, but it might still kill you.

Mick

Hope you’re back on your feet soon Mick.

Midge’s post reminds me of when I had my appendix out. The night after the op a new TV show debuted on TV. It was Fawlty Towers. That was excruciating.

I hope you heal quickly Mick.
Who’d have thought a “simple” hernia op would be so painful.

@silentC said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

Midge’s post reminds me of when I had my appendix out.

Ha! I discovered I had a serious problem with mine (appendix) when I rode over a series of undulations on the motorbike and had to grab my stomach with both hands!

Then after the op the surgeon wandered down and asked if I’d moved my bowels that morning:

“No Doc” I innocently replied.

“Well,” poking and prodding and feeling my stomach region, “somebody has!”

@JMick said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

Have maps out and am starting to plan my trip to Tassie to take my mind off things.

Yeah, a map of Tasmania should take your mind off the pain.

Think about going down the Princes Hwy instead of the Hume, it’s much more picturesque. Then take the Monaro Hwy from Bega. If you can time it to be at Bombala at dusk, you should see some platypodes in the river there. You can then go via either Cann River or Delegate to Melbourne.

We go Goulburn to Cooma and down to Cann River, a nice run and not too much traffic, I think the road from Bega to Cann River is a pain in the arse, narrow, windy and can be busy.

@bunyip said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

…narrow, windy and can be busy.

True, but should be fun on a motor bike.
Mick, if you go that way, take the time to roar up & down the road past the silent one’s house, at about 3 a.m.

last edited by Shy Ted

Ah we’re used to that sort of thing here in bogan country!

There’s a bed here if you want to venture down the Sapphire Coast. We are 30 seconds from the highway and 5 minutes from the best beach in the country.

Get better soon. Wean off the strong pain killers as quickly as you can or they can come back and bite you.
Being sick isn’t great.
I’ve had a flu with a fever now for 10 days but still have to work. It is a shit when I’m sicker than the patients and they still expect sympathy.

Having a dodgy ankle was bad enough, don’t like being cut open at all

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.