Off work for a couple of weeks........

Picked up some Black Tiger Prawns from Coles yesterday for $20.00/Kg, bloody beautiful taste.

@termite said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

Picked up some Black Tiger Prawns from Coles yesterday for $20.00/Kg, bloody beautiful taste.

Good value at this time of year.

@bleedin-thumb said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

Mick let me know of any highlights I shouldn’t miss. I’m looking forward to Tassie. BTW I have secured another major client since we spoke so another door opens etc etc …another year of craziness…or lets hope several years. Have a safe journey…

Bit hard to recommend what to see as this time around I’m mainly spending time with my daughter and going on moto rides when she is at work. A few ones to think about:

http://thewalltasmania.com.au/ See what happens when obsession and talent coincide. A bloke with a talent for timber carving/bas relief sculpture and an obsessive personality has built a huge timber barn to house his work in progress, a timber relief carving illustrating some of Tassie’s history.

http://www.pagancider.com.au/ These blokes make small batches of interesting ciders, worth trip down to their cellar door. I especially like their cherry cider which sounds like it would be a terribly sweet alcopop but is a dry and complex drink, a bit like quaffing a good red.

Heading back towards Hobart from there you pass by the apple museum which is basically an old barn full of interesting stuff with a funky cafe/restaurant/bar with live music.

It’s worth driving up Mt Wellington to admire the views over Hobart.

We also went out to Bruny Island a couple of years back (drive plus car ferry), lots of great scenery and interesting foodie places plus we took a boat tour down to the southern tip of the island.

New Norfolk is interesting if you want some moody photographic opportunities. Has abandoned mental institutions scattered throughout.

Richmond is like stepping back into the Georgian era although I don’t think baristas played a big role back then.

Taraleah is an old Hydro construction town from the 40’s? which someone bought and restored and which is now used for weddings and other functions. We drove in in the middle of winter and it was like driving into an abandoned '50s US Sci-Fi movie set .

There’s places on the coast to watch penguins (including Bruny). You’ll need a torch with a red filter.

The place is chock full of interesting old places and stunning scenery. You need to be aware of the road conditions. Coming from Qld they are several steps below what I would normally encounter for secondary roads. The advisory speed postings for the twisty bits are not as comprehensive as you might be used to, ie not every tight corner is posted, sometimes just the first one in a series and often when the limit jumps back up to 100 it will advise “changing road conditions” meaning that while the limit is 100 there will be places you’ll need to drive considerably less but there may or may not be advisory signs in place. I’m not sure about statistics for motor cars, but Tassie is over represented in serous injuries and deaths for motorcycle accidents with interstate and overseas riders being over represented. I would assume that it would be much the same for drivers of cars.

Finally, they have “A”, “B” and “C” roads here. After extensive driving and riding I have concluded that “A” = “Alright”, “B” = “Bad” and “C” = “Crap”.

Mick

PS you probably should check out MONA as well, but I still haven’t made it there, next time.

PPS
I would give Salamanca markets a miss, but the farmers markets are worth going to for great food and produce. Scallop pies are a Tassie speciality but I found that the scallop taste was overwhelmed by the curry sauce.

Unless you have lots of time don’t bother going out to StrathGordon and the Gordon dam, it’s a long drive/ride which is not particularly interesting although there are some good views once you get there.

Mick

The pub in Dover used to put on a decent crayfish meal, cheaper than buying a cray and doing it yourself.
Mures was always good for seafood but expensive (Constitution Dock).
Are you watching the Sydney Hobart come in?

If you make it to Richmond the bakehouse there does a Curried Scallop Pie to die for, far better than the ones at Salamanca.

@termite said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

If you make it to Richmond the bakehouse there does a Curried Scallop Pie to die for.

Yes apparently it is full of salmonella. :biggrin:

@bunyip said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

Are you watching the Sydney Hobart come in?

We did last time we were here at this time of year, don’t think we will this time.

Mick

So how’s the hernia op standing up? :smile:

@bitingmidge said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

So how’s the hernia op standing up? :smile:

Thanks for asking Dr Pete! I just got out of the shower and was admiring the six small red scars that the op left. No problems at all and haven’t actually given it any thought for quite some time. Probably not since the arthroscopy to the knee and certainly not since the high speed off on the bike over four weeks ago. It’s all relative really. I’m a simple bloke and can really only concentrate on one thing at a time. My right knee is giving me more grief than any of the other bits so that’s what gets my attention currently.

And then I go out for a ride on the moto and the cold makes me forget everything else! For those of you on Facebook I’ve posted up some pics of my journey.

Mick

So I got home yesterday, seven weeks and 12,284 kms after I set off. Besides the high speed off, a faulty main electrical connector and a dead battery it all went pretty smoothly. I ended up changing my route home. Originally it was going to be Melbourne - Parkes - Lightning Ridge - St George - Emerald - Clermont etc.

On Wednesday I got to Temora and it was bloody hot, so hot that you couldn’t touch the fuel tank with bare hands and I had to douse my head under a tap for a while to be able to function. By the time I got to Gilgandra the bike was missing/running poorly. I pushed on to Coonamble where I drenched my clothing and helmet with water in an attempt to cool myself down. I also topped the fuel up with fresh and hopefully cooler fuel from the bowser and dashed buckets of water at the tank to cool it off. After this treatment the bike ran happily until about 15 mins down the road when it started missing again.

I turned back to Coonamble and sat in the aircon of the roadhouse while I worked out what to do. I figured the fuel was vaporising in the carby or the hose leading to it and that this was going to continue for as long as I was riding in hot conditions. I looked at the BOM site and realised I would have to abandon my planned route home as it would mean several days of riding in similar or worse conditions. I headed east via Pilliga and WeeWaa to Narrabri. As I rode towards Pilliga there were two thunderstorms in the distance which I ended up riding between. Even though they were miles away on either side they cooled the air temps right down and after half an hour on the road the bike was running sweetly again.

I stayed the night in Narrabri, followed by Nanango and lastly Mackay. My last two days were the biggest, 850 and 682 kms respectively which are bloody big days on a single cylinder thumper. Glad to be back home, but glad I made the trip too.

Mick

A big trip but one you will never forget Mick. Pam and I did the big Perth trip on the bike 27 years ago and can just about remember every detail.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.