Off work for a couple of weeks........

Let’s know the dates, should be OK.

Travelling from Samford to Byron Bay on the 6th, so could be in Brissie then. Probably in Byron/Mullum on the 7th. I don’t get to Devonport until the 15th though.

Possibly a Sydney GTG on the night of the 10th or 11th. But not sure of the logistics. Won’t be anywhere I can camp within hours of the city and would need to find a motel or air BNB that has somewhere secure to park the moto.

There’s a really nice way of getting to Samford from Caloundra over Mt Nebo…

@bitingmidge

Yeah, I had a look at the map yesterday to see where the school was and recognised a number of the surrounding areas and road names froma motorbike forum I frequent.

Found myself an Air BnB at Hornsby and booked in for the 10th and 11th of December. So either Sunday or Monday night for a BS GTG, preferably somewhere on the North Shore. That should work fine for Wongo and Alex. Is there anyone else in Sydney? I know Bleedin Thimb is in Balmain, but he hasn’t been in the shed for quite some time, not sure that he’s joined up since the move.

Mick

11th is good if you want to come around here. Can fire up the barbie if you wish.

Okay, cool, will see you on the 11th.

Mick

I’ll try to round up some others - Wongo etc. Haven’t seen him on here for a while.

I’ve emailed Bodgie, Wongo & Horse. If anyone else is interested in coming, please let me know. Location is in NW Sydney, Pennant Hills area.

So far, Wongo’s a starter, Horse is a maybe and Bodgie’s unlikely unless it rains. Any more starters?

Couple of hiccups:
Realised that I needed to replace the front disc pads so went and bought a set. The pair is not identical, one side is symmetrical, the other is assymmetric. So the assymmetric one came from the factory with the friction material bonded to the wrong face, ie I have a mirror image of a brake pad. Grr, will have to take it back.

That’s an easy fix, but the collapsing rear shock isn’t. I noticed while I was working on the bike over the weekend that the top shroud has twisted around about 45 degrees, ripping itself in a bolt, therfe’s oil leaking out and the bottom shroud has gouge marks in it. Of course no one in Australia keeps new shocks in stock and I doubt this one is worth rebuilding. I can buy one from the states but most (all?) are not off the shelf as the damping and spring rates are adjusted for rider weight, riding style, environment etc. Stressing now, trying to get it sorted as I am meant to hit the road on the 25th.

Mick

@jmick said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

Travelling from Samford to Byron Bay on the 6th, so could be in Brissie then. Probably in Byron/Mullum on the 7th. I don’t get to Devonport until the 15th though.

Possibly a Sydney GTG on the night of the 10th or 11th. But not sure of the logistics. Won’t be anywhere I can camp within hours of the city and would need to find a motel or air BNB that has somewhere secure to park the moto.

Just found this thread. I’m headed down to Tassie myself with my youngest son. Booked the ferry for 8 Jan coming back on 18th.
Silent are you around on the 6th Jan?
BTW Mick your always welcome to crash at my place
Mick - I’m still at the same place. Those dates your talking about are in December right?

@bleedin-thumb said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

BTW Mick your always welcome to crash at my place

Not a good choice of words. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mick, hope you’re feeling a bit better. BBQ 10th or 11th is fine by me - let’s know what suits. Any other members who are interested please let me know.

I think so. We’re going up to Sydney later in Jan.

Ok,bit of a delay, then some good news:
Went into the moto shop next door this morning to see if the had my bike yet - they didn’t. “No worries”, thought I, the truck driver is having a late start after a huge day yesterday. Went in again this afternoon but still no bike. Having spotted another moto shop at the other end of the block I suggested that perhaps my bike had been sent to the wrong place. A phone call confirmed this. Anyway, I told the blokes I wasn’t interested in getting the cosmetic damage repaired, i just wanted the forks straightened and the bike back on the road. Half an hour later I had the bike back after watching the mechanic smack the front wheel against a wall and reef on the bars. Wheel now points in the same direction as the bars and I have the bike sitting in front of my motel room door. I had to pay the shop half an hour labour for the repair but the insurance co will reimburse me for that and the motel. They’ve booked the bike in for repairs in Cairns for when I get home. Back on the road tomorrow with a slightly altered itinerary (and a limp).

Mick

@silentc said in Off work for a couple of weeks........:

I think so. We’re going up to Sydney later in Jan.

I don’t know how to send personal messages on this new site. Send me your number (or ring me if you’ve got mine) and i will see if we cant arrange to catch up for a few bevies.
Also Alex I don’t have your number any more so ditto.

I don’t know how to send personal messages on this new site

It ain’t hard.

Click on the avatar of the person you want to send a message to, then click the “chat” button.

Messages show up top second from right - the logo that looks like a speech bubble.

@JMick arrived last night on a tow truck.

We worked out tonight that at his current rate of progress, you guys might like to schedule the Sydney catch up for sometime after Easter. :smile:

So as the Biting Midge intimated, I had more problems…It was absolutely bucketing down all the way from Miriam Vale to Gympie. 'Twas a slow, miserable ride. For a while there everyone around me, including the big rigs, was sitting on 80. I had to pull over in Gympie and load up with junk food and caffeine (and I’m not a coffee drinker). I got to around Cooroy (well and truly in the dark) and the bike conked out as I was descending a large hill. Looked at the fuel gauge and realised I’d done over 500kms out of the tank so I pulled over and switched to reserve. Normally I do this on the fly, but I just fitted a new long range tank and am unfamiliar with where the setting is. Anyway, switched it over and went to start it and everything went dead. Called RACQ and they delivered me to Midge’s place.

I hoped it was the battery as I don’t know its age, but a quick visit to the battery shop told us the battery was A-OK. Pulled the side covers, seat and fuel tank off and poked around, discovering that the main power connection plug had corrosion on it. Cleaned that up and also sealed the boot where it had let water in as well as carrying out a few more repairs. It fired up fine so problem fixed. Back to my trip, albeit a bit later.

Mick

Now for the good news… the further south you go, the wetter it is going to be, for the next couple of days at least.

alt text

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.