Computers

Tried to give a mate some photos on a thumb drive, but when he tries to import them he gets this message:
0_1500287351040_2017-07-16.jpg

Any clues why?

Try it in another PC.

Were they written on a Mac originally? I’ve seen a similar message in the Officeworks photo machines - can’t read the files, but they can read the same file when it’s been emailed.

A friend had a similar issue with his TV - the drive was formatted in whatever the latest format is, but TV could only read FAT.

Dunno.

Yes, they were written on a Mac. Not sure why his PC is seeing the thumb drive as iCloud. I think his PC is pretty old, not sure what version his OS is.

administrators

He’s running Windows 10. Have a look at option 2 here http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-ways-read-mac-formatted-drive-windows

Thanks for that gents. Will work around it.

I’ll suggest that he gets a Mac.

You could get a PC & then you wouldn’t have the problems when you get him files on a USB stick. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Cliff-Rogers said in Computers:

You could get a PC & then you wouldn’t have the problems when you get him files on a USB stick.

It’s not my problem, it’s his. I’ve never had a problem reading files on any USB stick.:tongue:

No, but he had a problem reading your files.

Cliff, what’s win10 done to file formatting? My mate has only PCs but couldn’t get his tele to read his files - I reformatted them for him (using my Mac) and fixed the problem!

Snipped from another site, I didn’t link the site 'cos it is full of pop up shit.

"If you need to expand your storage space with an external hard drive and you use both Mac and PC, you’ll likely run into a few obstacles. Hard drives advertised as being compatible with Windows and Mac OS may have misled you into thinking you could actually use one hard drive for both computers.

You can, but not out of the box.

Most external hard drives (HD) are sold in a format called NTFS, which is designed to work with Windows. Macs read and write to a different format, called HFS+. Another format, called FAT32 is compatible with both OS platforms. Here’s a look at how the different HD format types function:

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
- Natively read/write FAT32 on Windows and Mac OS X.
- Maximum file size: 4GB
- Maximum volume size: 2TB

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
- Natively read/write NTFS on Windows. - Read-only NTFS on Mac OS X
- Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and above but has proven instable.
- Maximum file size: 16 TB
- Maximum volume size: 256TB

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, aka Mac OS Extended)
- Natively read/write HFS+ on Mac OS X
- Required for Time Machine
- Maximum file size: 8EiB
- Maximum volume size: 8EiB"

I emailed the photos to him. He received them and can see them, but can’t save them “because they’re in the body of the email, not attachments”.
No one I know has ever had this problem, and as far as I know it’s the only way Mac sends files. It’s years since I used Windows (thank goodness) but I thought there was something on the toolbar like “Save attachments” that would do it. He’s using Windows 10.
What does he need to do (apart from “Get a Mac”).

I’ve seen it before - usually the Win person is completely unfamiliar with the concept of drag and drop! I would have thought he could right click on the image and “Save As” but anyway… do this on your Mac:

Go to the Edit menu in Mail. Scroll to “Attachments” then select “always send Windows friendly attachments”

Oh yes, if his computer is still being a dick about it, there are a couple of other things you can do:

Drag and drop them onto your email. This usually works whereas selecting them from a file or direct from Photos embeds them differently.

Or if there are a few of them, plonk them in a separate folder and compress it,(Finder File menu) then send the compressed file.

Wotz his mail program?

I presume it’s whatever comes bundled with Windows. He’s gone on holidays now so I can’t ask him. I checked, and “Always send windows friendly attachments” was ticked, so will try dragging & dropping or compressing.

@Shy-Ted said in Computers:

I presume it’s whatever comes bundled with Windows

Never ‘presume’ or assume anything…

No mail program comes bundled with windoze any longer.

MS want you to use web mail or buy a copy of Outlook.

If you know how, you can still download MS Windows Live Essentials & get a free mail client that way but it is now 5 years old & I personally f’n hate it.
(It also comes with a boatload of other useless shit that MS can’t sell 'cos nobody is stupid enough to pay for it.)

There are other free/shareware mail clients out there but they don’t come bundled & all have their own inherent weirdness.

Can you ask him what he is using?

last edited by Cliff Rogers

Thanks Cliff, will do so when he gets back from his holidays in your neck of the woods, in about 3 weeks.

…or I could give him your address and tell him to ask you himself.:wink:

Cool, I’m not at that place in Cairns where you visited any longer so don’t send him there.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.