Oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)

Safe level of drinking? My Great Grandfather retired as the Station Master at Gosford when he was 65, and then proceeded to drink a bottle of Scotch a day until he died at 94.

10585 bottles… what did that cost?

@Cliff-Rogers said in Oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT):

After a bottle a day, he didn’t care?

When I was in the public service our then Director General got through three bottles a day, being DG he had a chauffeur and needed him.
Another department I did a bit of time with (Conservation, I did trauma debriefing with firefighters) there was a supervisor who went through a slab of stubbies a day and two on weekends, during the fire season he had to remain dry for a week when he was on standby and he suffered the agonising state of advanced sobriety, he was also diabetic and for his continued good health only drank diet ale.
His local pub which was two doors away from his home sold and the new owners had a raffle with first prize being free beer for a week, this bastard won and took a week off work and nearly bankrupted the new owners.
He took a package in the early 90’s and bought a pub, in under six months he was broke and the pub had no patrons as this bloke was just an arsehole, he died less that a year later at age 60.

Never buy a pub if there’s a drinking problem in the family.
An ex engineer bought one in Sydney, went well for about a year, but then his misses had enough and the kids, ended up lost it all and topped himself on a local beach.

One of the wife’s Bridesmaids bought the pub in Bungendore, then found out her husband had a problem , she stuck it out for 4 years and it was all gone, Would have been quicker if she had left earlier.

Prince Of Wales , one of my locals , the old bloke died and the son took over, properly Newcastle’s best pub at the time, took about 12 months.

@Cliff-Rogers said in Oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT):

He could afford it, believe me.

@bunyip said in Oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT):

He took a package in the early 90’s and bought a pub

…one beer at a time.

He died 64 years ago, they wouldn’t cremate him and to this day you are not allowed to light a cigarette at the graveside.

@tolovar said in Oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT):
Newcastle’s best pub at the time.

Our local has the retro 50’s look except it is all original, horrible dingy little dive it is, called ‘The Palace Hotel’, it isn’t.
Food is absolute shit and they only serve CUB crap, how it remains open is beyond me.
We now have a micro brewery called Howlers, been there a couple of times and you just about have to book to get in even mid week, some nice brews on tap and to take away, I hope the food improves a bit with time, it’s OK but a bit limited.
Country pub owners somehow think the location will sell it for them, it doesn’t and the locals can be a bit surly.

@bunyip said in Oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT):

and the locals can be a bit surly.

Really I would never have guessed :smile:

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.