Plebiscite

As it’s been said in a lot of other places, If we have to have a Plebiscite on Gay Marriage why not have a few questions on the paper to at least get something from it.

How about
Secret ballot in parliament so they don’t have to follow party lines.
Immigration numbers , should it go up or down
Capital Punishment for some crimes
Mandatory Sentencing
Politicians Super rules
Food labeling and testing of imported food
etc , your thoughts.

capital punishment-judicial revenge killing.

The complete and utter waste of well over a hundred million dollars just to deny Bill Shortone the chance to say he backed down on an election promise. That and the fact that he hasn’t got the balls to stand up to some in his own party.

How about no plebicite and the fuckers do the job they were elected to do, ie. make some fucking decisions.

@madbugger said in Plebiscite:

How about no plebicite and the fuckers do the job they were elected to do, ie. make some fucking decisions.

Direct and to the point. Couldn’t agree more.

I can’t believe this is even a fucking issue.

administrators

@Termite said in Plebiscite:

The complete and utter waste of well over a hundred million dollars just to deny Bill Shortone the chance to say he backed down on an election promise. That and the fact that he hasn’t got the balls to stand up to some in his own party.

Yes, and he’s given Abbott the lead on the ‘No’ vote and Shorten the ‘Yes’ vote. Turnbull has completely lost control and relevancy.

A non binding vote to see if we want the fuckers to vote for it, polling says 65% are in favour of equal marriage rights so this is $100m to provide an answer we know in advance. It is just a last ditch chance by the right wing to convince us it is political correctness so vote no. Abbott is a pathetic has been but he still has the capacity to ferment enough hate to get a no vote with his smoke screen, that is his aim, not to represent his electorate just his looney right wing mates.

last edited by Johnc
administrators

@tolovar said in Plebiscite:

As it’s been said in a lot of other places, If we have to have a Plebiscite on Gay Marriage why not have a few questions on the paper to at least get something from it.

How about
Mandatory Sentencing
Politicians Super rules
etc , your thoughts.

We can have whatever we want but it will be utterly pointless as the polies will not abide by it anyway.

@dog said in Plebiscite:

@Termite said in Plebiscite:

Yes, and he’s given Abbott the lead on the ‘No’ vote and Shorten the ‘Yes’ vote. Turnbull has completely lost control and relevancy.

Even more impressive a significant enrol to vote effort is getting underway targetting the younger gen who are under enrolled. Good luck Mal, with a seat margin parliament

My feeling is is that most voters are angry and outraged about this pathetic Turnbull capitulation to the right wing christian faction that seems to own (or think they own) the ‘Liberal’ party. $122 million bucks. Of our money. Cunts

Ok another question, what % of eligable voters will even do the plebiscite
10 %
20%
30%
40%
50%
60%
Don’t think theres any point in going higher

@Johnc said in Plebiscite:

Abbott is a pathetic has been but he still has the capacity to ferment enough hate to get a no vote with his smoke screen, that is his aim, not to represent his electorate just his looney right wing mates.

On Farcebook I saw him described as “The unflushable turd”, pretty much sums up the backstabbing cunt.

Ok another question, what % of eligable voters will even do the plebiscite
10 %
20%
30%
40%
50%
60%
Don’t think theres any point in going higher

Does that mean that
90%
80%
70%
60%
50%
40%
don’t give a rats?

How about
Mandatory Sentencing
Politicians Super rules
etc , your thoughts.

Dangerous territory, I quite like the fact that we don’t run the country on public opinion, just imagine it.

Let’s say for example there was an online setup where every decision was made by the population.

We would have no politicians because they would be on minimum wage, we wouldn’t be multicultural anymore because so many believe if you don’t wear a singlet and drink VB you aren’t Australian, people earning over $100k a year would be taxed at 95%, etc etc.

Remember how averages work?
Half the people in this country have below average intelligence and need someone to do the thinking for them.

Look at some of the idiots voted in to parliament when people do have some sort of say.

That being said, the plebiscite is a waste of money, just pass the law and join the rest of the civilised world.

I see Barnaby Joyce is the newest dual citizenship victim, Dad was a Kiwi even though he (BJ) was born here and has never held a NZ passport.
As for VB and singlets, I would never qualify, can we include a host of other foul local brews.

administrators

Agree with Jack. Don’t let the public decide policy.

Even now, the pollies are driven by polling to see if policy is popular. The other side always uses fear to make people against whatever policy is being put forward.

I think Pollies need to be put through a test to see if they have at least basic critical thinking skills and are able to change their minds when given evidence that contradicts their currently held views.

The same goes for voters. They need some kind of test to ensure they are capable of understanding the issues.

administrators

@bunyip said in Plebiscite:

I see Barnaby Joyce is the newest dual citizenship victim, Dad was a Kiwi even though he (BJ) was born here and has never held a NZ passport.
As for VB and singlets, I would never qualify, can we include a host of other foul local brews.

Well the NZ government has confirmed that he is an NZ citizen. If the high court goes with the literal interpretation of Section 44, then Joyce is out. Ignorance is not a defense. There goes the governments majority.

The high court may decide that as he was unaware that he was a citizen of another country, he’s unlikely to have allegiance towards it.

However, given Joyce’s comment claiming that he was Australian through and through but only mentioned is mother’s side, he was probably aware of his doubtful status as an MP.

Interesting times. We need more uncertainty.

@dog said in Plebiscite:

The same goes for voters. They need some kind of test to ensure they are capable of understanding the issues.

In one of Neville Shute’s novels the central character is an Aussie. He is aksed by others (poms I think) to explain how the voting system worked in Australia. From memory there was a sliding scale, 1 vote for being of age, 1 vote for national service, 1 vote for Uni quals. It was an interesting concept.

Mick

Barnaby’s comments on the greens loss of two senators is that they were sloppy, they should have known when they filled out the form. If he had any balls he would except his own words and resign.

However I don’t think half those lined up should go, FFS they were born here, if they haven’t applied for citizenship elsewhere but get it by accident of their grandparents or their parents birth surely they can sign some form of declaration and leave it at that. Anyway the liberals and Nationals decided to lash the greens with political poison and now Labor are attacking the LNP all like mangy dogs scrapping at a bone. They should grow up and lower the heat and actually consider if a modern Australia is due for a constitutional change so this bullshit stops. Mind you that moron Roberts should go on the basis he is a dick, but I would be quite happy if it was a result of the lying pricks UK citizenship.

last edited by Johnc

Does this render legislation null and void if passed by a pollie who has dual citizenship and if so how far back will it go and will older pieces of legislation need to be reenacted?

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.