How to insert tables into posts

No this isn’t about making stuff out of wood.

On the St Peter’s sweepstakes I’ve just had a bit of a “learn how to make tables” kind of learning curve.

Here’s the easiest explanation:

I have a couple of ideas as to how to convert spreadsheets into tables in a few steps, otherwise, I just know everyone is busting to do it manually!

Has anyone EVER posted a table before, EVER? (except me?) :grinning:

Yeah, well it was stupidly easy now that I figured it out, theres another couple of hours of sightseeing gone! :grinning: .

1)Take your spreadsheet,

2)export it to .CSV

1. find the commas and replace with the vertical line thingy

2. Under the header row, add a hyphen and a vertical line thingy for every row this will make the table header.

Paste the result -

This:

,Shy Ted,Horse,Joker,JohnC,Tolovar,Craig,Tqft,Mad bugger,Jack,Dentuso,Outback,Count
Adam West,X,1
Abdul Halim Khaddam,X,1
Barbara Bush,X,1
Bashar al-Assad,X,1
Betty White,X,1
Billy Graham,X,1
Britney Spears,X,1
Bill Lawry,X,1
Bill Wyman,X,1

Turns into this:

Name ShyTed Horse Joker JohnC Tolovar Craig Tqft Madbugger Jack Dentuso Outback Count
Adam West X 1
Abdul Halim Khaddam X 1
Barbara Bush X 1
Bashar al-Assad X 1
Betty White X 1
Billy Graham X 1
Britney Spears X 1
Bill Lawry X 1
Bill Wyman X 1
last edited by bitingmidge

Was going to suggest that, CSV files are usually the way to export/import tables. Still, you’ve learned something new. Now get back to your sightseeing.
I’m in Las Vegas - think I might go & stick my head under a pillow.

You are right, but there’s no way to “import” as such, without the “find and replace”, AND don’t forget to add the extra line under the header.

Looks like your connection to How to insert tables into posts was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.