Beautiful day

We have had a couple of nice days so it was an opportunity to finish of the bog hole in the driveway and give the new tractor a workout.
I scooped out the mud which was almost 600mm deep and backfilled with bluemetal, we got the tractor in February this year to replace the ancient grey fergie, despite it’s size it is a more powerful unit and can scoop up to about 350kg although I suspect I have lifted more.
Filled the hole and left it for two weeks to settle then today topped it up and spread it evenly with the bucket dragging it backwards.
For small jobs like this the bucket works well although I do have a grader which can be a pain in the arse to put on and remove.
Levelling off took me about two hours then I scooped more mud from the front of the shed and backfilled so I had about a 5 hour session all up today.

0_1507108791196_DSC_0175 - Copy.JPG

0_1507108805920_DSC_0171 - Copy.JPG

last edited by bunyip
administrators

Good job.

Tractor is next on my shopping list.

I thought you had one.

The grader is puss, dead set hopeless.

I use the grader on the driveway, it is one with a rear wheel so it doesn’t follow the bumps and depressions that the tractor does, theoretically it should continue a level course that the blade has set, in reality it sort of does but needs a few passes to get it level.
remove the wheel and it digs in and bites where it shouldn’t.
on level terrain it’s ok.
the bucket works well when dragging backwards but only for small areas.

Can you get me a couple of pics of the grader & wheel set up please?

I wouldn’t mind a tractor … but I just can’t justify it. :(

@Cliff-Rogers said in Beautiful day:

Can you get me a couple of pics of the grader & wheel set up please?

link text

I use the same blade but remove or reverse the rippers when levelling, well, I reverse them cos if I take them off Rosemary will put them away and I’ll never find them again.

@Joker said in Beautiful day:

I wouldn’t mind a tractor … but I just can’t justify it. :(

We put it off for some years and wished we hadn’t, it makes life a lot easier and what took two days to move around with wheelbarrows and shovels I now knock over in an hour or so.
I have a large gutter to clean out and would love a backhoe but can’t justify $4k for a two hour job once every two years, currently working on an attachment to fit on the bucket.
Kubota had a special on that model tractor when we got it, either $2k off or a 4 in 1 bucket, we went the latter and was not a move I regret as it makes it even more versatile.
I think they are about $22k at the moment (BX2370) and Kubota do offer 2 or 3 years interest free which you can utilise to write off on tax if you have an ABN.
23hp 3 cylinder diesel, hydrostatic transmission, high/low range, 4WD and diff lock, tyres are your call, turf, industrial (which we have) or ag which for us are too aggressive.
Can be road registered too as it is compliant and can cruise at a blistering 20kph.

I tend to either hire a Dingo (maybe $150 or so for a day … can’t quite remember) to move stuff, or dig trenches/post holes, or for bigger stuff hire a bloke with a bobcat/excavator/tipper ($110 and hour).

$22k buys a lot of hiring. But I admit it would be handy to have one whenever I needed it, … also I would like to do a little bit of pasture improvement around our place.

last edited by Joker

We are continually fencing, changing paddocks and removing and putting new fence posts in, filling the old holes etc.
Getting a middle buster soon for draining and would like a disc harrow, already have a post hole digger and can put in about 20 posts an hour without working up a sweat.
I tend to use this 2-3 times a week and use the bucket to roll out 600kg round bales for the horses, it won’t lift it but rolling and steering it around is just fine.
I didn’t go for the deck mower as we already have a 38" ride on that we bought not long before the tractor plus the deck is a PITA to fit and remove despite how easy they tell you it is.
The driveway needs grading about 4 times a year and the arena needs levelling after the horses have had a workout, we also have a 100 litre sprayer that we do the whole place with and strap it in the bucket and clamp a boom spray on the front.
If we didn’t have horses it would be a different proposition and I would probably be content with the fergie despite all its shortcomings.
I found it easy to justify but I see your point, I would like a Clubman but doubt I will get one as it would only go out 2-3 times a year plus SWMBO would probably castrate me if I came home with one.

@bunyip said in Beautiful day:

I use the same blade but remove or reverse the rippers when levelling

Ours doesn’t have rippers or a wheel, I’m interested to see if I could fit a wheel to ours.

I just borrow my neighbour’s bobcat. But a tractor would be handy.

@Cliff-Rogers said in Beautiful day:

I use the same blade but remove or reverse the rippers when levelling

Ours doesn’t have rippers or a wheel, I’m interested to see if I could fit a wheel to ours.

Can you see it all clearly, if not I can post some pics.
All those top arm additions are hinged to allow movement, the spring above the wheel is only a damper and doesn’t do a lot.
The Kubota subcompact does not have downforce on the 3PL, if it did this would not work as the grader has to be able to move around, the arms on our 3PL can be lifted independently without a lot of effort, I am not sure what your tractor is.

Edit there are some close ups of the wheel set up in the demo video in this link
link text

last edited by bunyip

Cool, We have a Kabota BX1830 & the blade is a Kanga.
I can see how that wheel works, thanks.
I’ll see if I can build one for ours.

When I bought my tractor I didn’t get a 4 in 1. Biggest fuck up of the deal, they are so good. I decided I couldn’t afford the extra 4 grand or whatever for it so went without. I regret it still.

administrators

I thought you had one.

I sold it and got a ride on as the tractor is a pain to do mowing through the orchard. It didn’t have a FEL or 4in1 so not anywhere as useful.

I want one big enough to be able to lift round bales.

I’m thinking of the Kioti tractor of around 50hp.

administrators

@Outback said in Beautiful day:

When I bought my tractor I didn’t get a 4 in 1. Biggest fuck up of the deal, they are so good. I decided I couldn’t afford the extra 4 grand or whatever for it so went without. I regret it still.

Yes, having a 4in1 is like having 4 or your mates around and these mates never expect beer afterwards.

Friend of mine has just bought a Kioti 35hp, pretty sure it will lift round bales.
I could get a spike for the 3PL and lift them that way, the 23hp can do it.
We looked at chinese tractors and shyed away, they are not very well thought out, should you feel tempted keep away from agrison, google them and have a look at their track record.

last edited by bunyip

I could get a spike for the 3PL and lift them that way, the 23hp can do it.

Just be aware that it will lift it but you will be riding on a see-saw, the front wheels want to float, I have found that when I lift something on the boarder of being too heavy to steer with, I have to use reverse to keep the front wheels on the ground to steer.
The 18Hp 3PL will lift heaps, including the front of the tractor.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.