Black Mountain Stout

I decided to give a Coopers ROM recipe a go.

This is an American-style stout beer. It uses extracts but also has some grain just to make it feel like you’re doing a bit more than mixing tins in hot water.

Turned out very nice, one of the best I have made. The head is dense and creamy, and white which is unusual for these home brew dark beers. ABV is approximately 5.7%.

Flavour is roasted malt and chocolate with a slight floral note. Definitely worth the extra effort, which wasn’t that much really.

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/126/

5.7% Packs a bit of a kick then :)

Yes my home brews usually work out in the range 3.9 to 4.9. I shall have to be careful with this one…

administrators

All the IPAs that I drink are 6-7 percent.

I do like a good stout. Send me a few bottles?

Never gone for stout, find it too bitter and heavy except for cooking.

administrators

I like a good darkie.

It doesn’t travel well unfortunately, you’ll have to come get it :)

It’s not overly bitter, not like a Guinness. It’s more like White Rabbit if you’ve ever had that.

Had white rabbit, leaves a strange aftertaste, alright in small doses.
Termite put me on to the pale ale from Aldi, not a bad brew, comes from Vietnam apparently and made by an Australian brewer.

@bunyip said in Black Mountain Stout:

… comes from Vietnam apparently and made by an Australian brewer.

Not very Australian if it comes from Vietnam.

An Australian male person who brews beer in Vietnam if that is more PC.
After all, keep this to yourself, I found out Mars bars don’t come from Mars:earth_asia:

Your small doses may be different to mine :)

I have another dark one in the tank at the moment. This is another Coopers recipe of the month. Called Ol’ Brown Dog. Hopefully because it is a faithful brew and not because it would kill one…

This is a mixture of stout and amber tins plus 300g of Crystal malt grain. Plenty of hops in it.

I like dark ale, I like black beer, I like beer, ale, red wine, port… booze. :yum:

Ah, ok, I thought by “Australian brewer” you meant an Australian brewing company, not just some individual … hence my statement. Also what does a Personal Computer have to do with it? :)

administrators

The are some good dark ales out there. There is a Kooinda Dark IPA, quite malty and nutty, and not so bitter.

@Joker said in Black Mountain Stout:

Also what does a Personal Computer have to do with it? :)

If it was brewed by a Mac user it would be an iPA…

If it was brewed by a Mac user it would be VB…

Fixed it for you.

@dog said in Black Mountain Stout:

The are some good dark ales out there. There is a Kooinda Dark IPA, quite malty and nutty, and not so bitter.

I find it very difficult to get dark beers in most bottle shops. Our local will usually have White Rabbit (at $80 a case) and sometimes one of the JS porters. But that’s about it. Even when I go to Sydney, the local bottlos simply do not stock it. If you are lucky they will have Tooheys Old.

This is one of the reasons I keep up with the home brewing, because it’s the only way I can get anything nice to drink on a continuous basis. My staple is a very simple brew that consists of a dark roasted tin + lager malt tin, water and some hop pellets. I just use an English ale yeast and always get good results. It costs about $30 for 30 long necks.

I like to throw in something different every now and then, like these last two, or a double chocolate stout that goes very well. I occasionally make an IPA or I recently made a cerveza. But that’s mainly for the missus and my neighbour, who aren’t fond of the dark side.

Silent I hate to disappoint you but cerveza just means beer in Spanish. You would really enjoy a San Miguel Cerveza Negra.

last edited by Termite

Yeah I know that, I’ve even consumed it by the litre in Madrid.

The home brew was a tin from Coopers called ‘Mexican Cerveza’. I just called it a cerveza, suggestive of a version of a popular Mexican lager, because that is what Coopers called it on the tin. I forgot I need to be specific when posting here :)

I’ll keep an eye out for the dark one. Always willing to try new things. I’ve tried Asahi black, which I didn’t mind. Very hard to find though, I haven’t seen it anywhere since.

last edited by silentC

@silentC said in Black Mountain Stout:

… I forgot I need to be specific when posting here :)

I seem to remember that it was you who first introduced the term ‘pedant’ to the shed. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Looks like your connection to Black Mountain Stout was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.