Different Point of View.

As some of you may remember, most won’t, about 12 months ago I posted about a watch’ which lead to a half hearted discussion on watches in general, with the general attitude to watches being rather apathetic.

Well just to let you know that there are quite a few people in the world with a rather different attitude. I’m sure you all know the actor Paul Newman? Well in 1968 he was given a Rolex Daytona by his wife, and wore it until he gave it to a friend in the late 70’s.

It has just sold at auction, after several minutes of heavy bidding, for US $ 17,750,500.00 . There are some pretty serious watch collectors around the place. Like I said 12 months ago, it’s not just about telling the time.

last edited by Termite

I have also found that watch collectors are prepared to pay good money for a nice, custom made watch box.0_1509167823859_P1010047.JPG

Huon and Blackwood? Nice box Ted,

administrators

@Craig said in Different Point of View.:

Huon and Blackwood? Nice box Ted,

How do you know?

@Termite said in Different Point of View.: It has just sold at auction, after several minutes of heavy bidding, for US $ 17,750,500.00 . There are some pretty serious watch collectors around the place. Like I said 12 months ago, it’s not just about telling the time.

I collect watches, mainly fusee pocket watches but have a couple of others and I can assure you that I would not pay that much for a Rolex, the Daytona is still available and this would only be that price because of the owner.
An original 1968 Datemaster went for US$17K a couple of years ago, cost US$120 when purchased brand new.
Rolex are nice (I have a Submariner) but not the most expensive of Swiss watches, I wear a Tissot and Hanowa (Hans Nol Watches), Japan is represented by a Seiko Solar and a Nautica Marine with all the pretty little flags which to my disgust I found is made by Timex, probably China.
Current pride and joy is my Atmos clock which I had restored, maybe Alex can make a box for that.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.