Taken up smoking...

And tried some beef ribs yesterday, they were OK but a bit grizzly which I don’t like, can’t eat pork so looking for a suitable beef to smoke.
The guru’s say a brisket but there are only two of us and 5kg of this is going to make great dog food.
Can I use thick sliced round steak which would cook quicker, about 4 hours at 200F and yield the desired result after a night in the fridge with dry rub.
I also want something that I can shred and put in a roll with a decent homemade sauce as ribs are messy, not a fan of eating with fingers.
Thanks in advance guru’s.

I reckon you should experiment and let us know how you go :)

Never done beef ribs but I’ve done pork ribs plenty of times. Which I can eat.
Thankfully.

I am one of the lucky bastards who can’t eat pork as it makes me feel ill, my parents used to make me eat it then abuse me when I ‘feigned’ illness.
Since found out it is quite a common allergy although I was made to feel it was just me, having said that I can eat cured pork such as salami, bacon and ham without any side effects.

administrators

Mmmm pork.

Iain do some searching regarding Low and Slow BBQ techniques, I do it all the time but it is too large a subject to put it into this forum, which by the way laid heaps of shit on me the last time the subject of BBQ arose.
Interesting to see that one of the baggers has bought himself a Kamado, I wonder if he has singed his eyebrows yet from lifting the lid too quickly while it is in operation. :)

administrators

@Termite said in Taken up smoking...:

Iain do some searching regarding Low and Slow BBQ techniques, I do it all the time but it is too large a subject to put it into this forum, which by the way laid heaps of shit on me the last time the subject of BBQ arose.

What he said. Someone out there in internet land has done that and wrote a post about it.

Interesting to see that one of the baggers has bought himself a Kamado, I wonder if he has singed his eyebrows yet from lifting the lid too quickly while it is in operation. :)

Not yet. Haven’t had a problem. I’m going to stoke it up on the weekend to give it a clean. We’ll see what happens then.

I did some sausages (pork and beef) on it on Sunday. The Kamado lifts the humble sausage to another level.

Speaking to my brother a couple of days ago, he bought his daughter and her beau a webber kettle clone, they have never owned or used one and he told me he got a call asking him to come over as they thought it was too hot to cook on.
He said he was walking up the driveway and could see the kettle glowing in the dark, it seems that they went out and bought a 10kg pack of heat beads, put them all in and lit them.
I think 5kg would have been enough…

Heat beads, I am using Redheads as they are all wood and no brown coal, on the ribs I used about a cupped two hands full piled in the centre with hickory blocks around the edge, they went for about 4 1/2 hours, being carbon/charcoal based you can top up without doing anything nasty to whats cooking, smoker ran at a bees dick over 200°F.
The smoker has a deflector over the heat source so there is no direct heat.
The smoker is a Charmate second and cost me $50, not the greatest but not prepared to spend a fortune on something if I don’t use it again.
It is a bit rickety and takes a bit to get it to join together properly but once set up seems OK, Aldi had a gas one last weekend for $299.00, don’t know how gas would perform.
A 5kg bag of hickory blocks was $25, that hurt so I might use something laying around the place, Ti Tree works well and we have a bit of it, treated pine could be unique!!!

My pecan tree (hickory) is always fucking shedding branches. I’ll send you some :D

I’ve pensioned off the gasser and do all my cooking on either the big or small Weber kettle, the cast iron Hibachi, or the spit.
Depending on what I’m doing I use Redheads extruded charcoal (commonly known as Robot Turds), hardwood lump charcoal, Coconut Heat beads, or normal heat beads. The small bits left over after a cook are ideal for use in the Hibachi.

Robot turds, a very fitting description, how many kilos do you use at a time.

@bunyip said in Taken up smoking...:

A 5kg bag of hickory blocks was $25, that hurt so I might use something laying around the place, Ti Tree works well and we have a bit of it, treated pine could be unique!!!

Don’t waste your money on Hickory, some of the best taste comes from the dried core of the Banksia flower. Dried trimmings from Apple trees. Mulberry trees etc can be used.
Here’s a chart for smoking wood and its uses, we put this together a few years ago. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/thegerman1/BBQ/AustralianNativeTimberMatrixforSmokingR27.jpg

last edited by Termite

Thanks and stolen, got a lot of those around here, looks like a tomorrow job doing some pruning.

looking at a lot of rubs and the general consensus seems to be a ratio of 8:3:1:1 with the 8 being sugar and 3 salt, i have used brown sugar and coconut raw sugar and use sea salt flakes, my measures are tbls.
for the 1 and 1 i used 2tsp coriander and 2 tsp cumin, the remaining ‘1’ is 1 tsp chilli 1 tsp paprika 1 tsp oregano and 1 tsp pepper.
i will fart around with some other mixes but this seems a good start.
got a 2kg brisket on at the moment.

Another mixture for meatballs is brown sugar, fennel and black tea, make a dish out of double layer of foil and place over fire and cook for about 10 minutes, leave lid closed for about another 30 minutes.
We used to do this in a dutch oven with foil on the bottom and the meatballs on a cake rack over the top on a gas burner.

You going to send us some samples? 🤓

The world would be a much happier place if ALL vegies tasted like bacon.

The brisket went well, nice and tender and black on the outside and was good in crispy long rolls with homemade caramelised onions, finishing off the hickory that I have but will gather some banksia today.
I’ll put some in an envelope and send it to you Cliff, enjoy.
Next I want to try some thick snags and chicken fillets, the coconut sugar should lend itself to the latter.

@tonto said in Taken up smoking...:

The world would be a much happier place if ALL vegies tasted like bacon.

Could smoking pumpkin make it edible?

@bunyip said in Taken up smoking...:

will gather some banksia today.
I’ll put some in an envelope and send it to you Cliff, enjoy.

I was kinda hoping you would send some of the meat, I have plenty of Banksia thanks.

Ask you butcher for a couple of double T bones ( twice as thick , or more ) cooking on the bone gives a better taste

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.