Victorians

Nothing to worry about here yet, so far we would be under 100mm since it started, no flood warnings, it just depends what we get over night. We get about 600mm per year although from time to time we will get a 100mm dump it usually isn’t this widespread

Nothing to worry about here yet, so far we would be under 100mm since it started, no flood warnings, it just depends what we get over night. We get about 600mm per year although from time to time we will get a 100mm dump it usually isn’t this widespread

Is there an echo in here? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here’s why I find it hard to come to terms with floods after the bit of drizzle that Victoria’s just had…

Today on the Sunny Coast, the forecast (paraphrased) is; 27° Cloudy, 70mm of rain, UV14, low-moderate fire risk.

0_1512345148605_Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 9.36.08 AM.png

Large catchments naturally concentrate water into a small area that has difficulty coping with excess flow, we are surrounded by hills that put water into a lot of rivers, creeks and drains, when rainfall is high none of these can cope and overflow, as the areas are flat it just becomes a floodplain.
Granted we don’t get your levels of rain but we tend to get steady lower rainfall.
I now have two days cleaning out a kilometer of drain over the next couple of days that silted up when the creek at the rear of us overflowed with 48 hours of non stop rain.
Another problem is local councils lust for $$$$ and developing new estates with lots of drainage concentrating a lot of water that before would naturally dissipate into small drains that can’t cope with the new flow.

@bunyip said in Victorians:

Another problem is local councils lust for $$$$ and developing new estates with lots of drainage concentrating a lot of water that before would naturally dissipate into small drains that can’t cope with the new flow.

Just one of the reasons I wish I could get into people’s thick scones that high density development is the most sensible and efficient way of expansion! Low footprint, lots of open space!

Have fun with the cleanup, if that’s the appropriate message. We have the same problems of course, it just takes more water.

Out of curiosity - what’s your fire risk at the mo?

@bitingmidge said in Victorians:

Low footprint, lots of open space!

…as long as it’s not paved with concrete. Even better if it has a few trees on it.

Fire risk is a variable, we are pretty low as we are green for longer, west of Melbourne dries out a lot faster, north is faster again.
Our horses are still happily grazing and will be for quite a while.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.