Toys

I already have 10l containers, wonder where the 50hp filler is?

administrators

I’ll just drive the tractor to the servo.

I’m actually thinking that I’ll get a 200 litre drum and a hand pump. Just take the drum up to the servo on the back of the ute. Off load it with said tractor.

I’ll have to have a think about which tyres to get. The getting can get very soft which means more aggressive tyres are a good thing but they’ll tear up the paddocks.

I have the tyres like Buny, our hills are heaps steeper than yours & I manage fine… most of the time.
Only had it stuck once when I got side on down a steep slope one year when it had rained for 40 days & 40 nights, it wouldn’t turn to come back up the hill, just kept going sideways across it.
I hooked up a ‘come-along’ to a fence post & winched the nose around & got it back up the hill that way.
I’ve since learned that the steering works heaps better if you reverse it up the hill.
I had proper ag tryes on the old Ford 5000 (now gone to my Bro who is a flat lander) & they fairly chewed up the paddock.

The Ford 5000 had the filler cap up on top just behind the instrument panel.
About eye height when standing beside it.
I used to hoist the 20L can up & get the nozzle in the filler & then lift/tilt the bum of the can up & rest it on my right shoulder.

Storing diesel can be a pain in the arse as it’s hydroscopic which is not good for the engine, either use a lot or drain the storage tank on a regular basis and don’t rely on the engine filters to get rid of the water and check them regularly.
I fill ours up then just top up with the 10l as required.
The industrial tyres or R51’s are almost as good as ag and do not tear up the ground, they are even quite gentle in the sand arena, turf tyres are bloody useless unless you just want a big lawnmower.

The BX has 2 fuel filter, one is easy to get at, the other not so, better without the deck mower attached.
I run mine til it is just about out of fuel & I I don’t fill it before I park it.
I change all the filters every 500hours, they are due again now but I might be trading it so it can wait.

Ag tyres are designed to give traction on soft soil when ploughing. IE you’ve basically thrown an anchor out the back of the tractor and need enough traction to be able to turn the soil over with it. If you’re just slashing, moving soil or bales etc you’d be better off with industrial tyres… They give better grip on hard surfaces and won’t chew he grass up as much, especially on turns.

Mick

administrators

Thanks. I do plan to run a chisel plough over the paddocks to deal with the compaction of the horses.

I can time the ploughing to when the ground is soft, so it won’t be like ripping clay

A chisel plough isn’t nearly as much load as a mouldboard or disc plough so you should be fine with industrial tyres. You can always water ballast your tyres for some extra traction if required.

@jmick said in Toys:

water ballast your tyres

Have on mine, to lower the centre of gravity.

administrators

0_1515709766080_tractor.jpg

It arrived. It passed the sniff test.

But did it pass the piss on the wheels test?
I see number plates, what does rego cost?

last edited by bunyip
administrators

Rego is $70 a year but you have to pay stamp duty on it which was $1500 as well as put a mirror and flashing light on it.

It just makes it more useful if I can drive on the road. I’ve got a quarry just up the road and can pick up my own topping when I need some.

Nice looking bit of gear.

Nice!
… and just a bit jealous. :)

How fast does it go?

administrators

27 kph or thereabouts

@cliff-rogers said in Toys:

How fast does it go?

@dog said in Toys:

27 kph or thereabouts

Note that he can only reach that speed when the tractor is the right way up.
:)

I shifted some huge blocks of concrete today which I’m sure exceeded the rated lift capacity.
Kubota are truly a remarkable machine and saved me a sore back.
Currently having a rest in the carport and will be out tomorrow morning pulling out fence posts and shifting more concrete for the edge of the arena.

@dog said in Toys:

27 kph or thereabouts

bugger, we can only get 19kph with a tail wind.

“Note that he can only reach that speed when the tractor is the right way up”

Arh but… we have hills, Fuck’n steep ones & when it is wet we can go down them even faster upside down or not.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.