I guess it made sense to him........

So I went for a ride the other day and stopped for a toilet break at Swansea. I spotted a bloke with a pushbike with trailer nearby in the park so I rode over to see if it might have been the same bloke I’d met in the caravan park at Bruthen. It wasn’t, but he hopped up from lying down on the picnic bench to say g’day. He had a Yamaha 2kVa inverter genny running.He explained that he was having a break for a couple of hours while he recharged his E-bike batteries. It was the smallest genny that would do the job. I looked at his rig and it didn’t make much sense to me. He was towing a trailer which would have been mostly filled with the generator and spare fuel. The genny weighs around 20kg plus the weight of a 5l plastic jerry can and the trailer itself. His bike was loaded with panniers and I’m guessing it would have been near impossible to pedal the lot without the assistance of the electric motor. He could have loaded all his gear onto an old postie bike for a lot less money for much the same end result. I guess his setup didn’t require a license or registration but it would have cost more to transport on the ferry from the mainland than a motorbike. I guess it made sense to him…

Mick

Not very economical really, but he does avoid having to pay for rego, licence & insurance.

Nothing about what he’s doing makes sense, including his understanding of electronics!

The Yam2kva is a brilliant machine, but the little Yamaha or Honda 1000w would easily do what he wants and save him 7 or 8 kgs to boot. Honda used to make a 750 which would do the trick too… I suspect he’s thinking that 5amps @ 240V isn’t going to give him enough charge, but he’s forgetting he’s delivering it at 36v so he’s got more than 30amps to play with using the 1000 w gen… And that is enough to fry his bike batteries. The little guys burn almost no fuel on low load - typically we pump 30amps/hour into our 12v batteries on the boat for three hours and use almost no fuel!

In Switzerland, to overcome this problem there are “swap and go” stations for ebike batteries every 30k or so on the bikeways!

On thinking about it, two spare batteries and two chargers could have given him a 250k range more or less between powered camp sites…

Was he Japanese?
Some years ago I was riding from Wauchope to Sydney on my treadly. I had front & rear panniers carrying lightweight tent, bedroll, changes of cycling and street clothes, a bit of dried food & a Trangia stove & fuel. Not far along the way I met another guy riding from Brisbane with a small saddlebag carrying just a set of street clothes and his credit card. He invited me to stay at the hotel he’d booked at Nabiac, and within 10 minutes Mrs. Publican had offered to wash & dry his cycling gear.
The next day, we met a Japanese guy. This guy had Large front & rear panniers, large packs on his front & rear racks, tent poles strapped to the top tube of his bike and a small bag attached to his handlebars. In that bag was a walkman, with a speaker at each end of his handlebars.
He rode that setup from Brisbane to Broome, then back to Perth. He’s a better man than I am, Gungah Din.

@shy-ted said in I guess it made sense to him........:

I met another guy riding from Brisbane with a small saddlebag carrying just a set of street clothes and his credit card

We met an American couple in France last year bike touring/camping. Road bikes not touring bikes, total luggage including bikes 12kg each. All the best gear of course but almost none of it. After one day she sent home her spare lycras and walking shoes as she didn’t think she’d need them - then realised that it wouldn’t be too comfortable wearing cleats around the airport on the way home. It’s amazing how little you need to be comfortable if your idea of comfort is sleeping under a park bench in a raincoat.

@shy-ted said in I guess it made sense to him........:

I met another guy riding from Brisbane with a small saddlebag carrying just a set of street clothes and his credit card.

If he had a tooth brush & a comb as well it might have been Jack Reacher.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.