Pardon? Say again?

Yep, the time has come when, despite leading an entirely sensible life some sort of auditory assistance is necessary.

I thought I’d get away with it by buying a reasonable quality soundbar for the tele, and with the coolest feature on Apple TV where you just ask the remote “what did he/she say” and it rewinds 10 sec and plays it again, you think I’d be sweet. What actually happens is that I ask the rotten thing so often that it takes twice as long to watch a movie, so it’s been captions for me for quite some time.

Those among you who have never been down the Audiology road may be surprised to discover that a basic pair of what some prefer to call “appliances” (which of course are not quite suited to your particular problem sir") will cost about the same as several smart phones.

A top of the range pair (which we are sure you will be happy with) are about the same price as a new Kia (less on road costs), but of course they come with bluetooth so there’s no need for a set of ear buds for the phone.

Watch this space!

I had a client who was quite deaf, we were going into town on the train one day when his phone rang (he used it for text) and gave it to me to answer,
It was his audiologist reminding him of an upcoming appointment.
My father had ‘appliances’, top of the line and sat in a little receptacle to charge, silly bugger never wore them as he thought people would think he looked silly, you couldn’t even see the bloody things and they cost about as much as a Kia with on road costs and leather upholstery.

ABC Background Briefing did a report on the audiology/hearing aid industry that might be worth listening to ( or perhaps you can get a transcript.:laughing: ).

@bunyip said in Pardon? Say again?:

silly bugger never wore them

There’s a statistic often quoted that states that more than 30% of hearing aids are left in a drawer and not used.

@shy-ted said in Pardon? Say again?:

might be worth listening to ( or perhaps you can get a transcript. )

Over the last week or so I have become a bit of an expert on that sort of thing. I actually sought out an independent audiologist, who charged me $90 for an hour of his time and to his credit was selling a high-end product to suit moi at $9k - the shopping mall “free hearing test” guys had the same gadgets at $14k.

After a LOT of asking round - this mob seem to be the goods, and curiously their interpolation of the “online test” produced exactly the same result that the proper audiogram did. So now I wait till March until the release of their new tech product which should be close in spec to the one above but two-thirds the price.

AND I like that they are made in Aus!

As an aside, I’ve read a bit of flak against Apple (ho hum) because all of the major manufacturers produce a “made for iPhone” product. Turns out that Apple is the only smart phone manufacturer which complies with the de facto hearing aid standard bandwidth.

I had to have a hearing test for work, I rolled up and they put me in this soundproof cubicle.
At the conclusion of the test they told me that my hearing was deteriorating as I missed several low db sounds across the frequency range, I suggested that I couldn’t hear them because of the traffic noise that I could hear quite clearly.
They denied that any outside sounds could be heard in the booth but I could clearly discern truck,V8’s and Harley sounds from the rest of the mainstream.

I can hear the low sounds but the high end is shot to pieces. Been a shooter since I was 8yo. 303 rifle club, artillery in the army, Ramset shots and dog knows what else in the building industry. Finally started to wear hearing protection when I started pistol shooting in my 40’s by which time it was too bloody late.

I’ve always worn hearing protection in the workshop, and have only slight deterioration, noticeable when SWMBO complains that the TV is too loud. However, when I was in the USA I went to a pistol range with D1, and the earmuffs they gave me to wear there were streets ahead of anything else I’ve ever worn. Bought a pair straight away, cheaper than the cheapies at the green shed.

the earmuffs they gave me to wear there were streets ahead of anything else

What are/were they?

Bought a pair straight away, cheaper than the cheapies at the green shed.

Some earmuffs sold for the rifle range will only block sudden loud noises (like a gunshot), so you have to be a bit careful!

I had a pair of musicians’ plugs made by an audiologist about 15 years ago. They are form-fitted to the ears and are very comfortable to wear with goggles and masks, and if you really want to block out sound, with ear muffs as well. They cost around $240 these days, so don’t lose 'em.

Sadly that was a bit of closing the gate after the horse had bolted. Lots of damage done in my thirties flying in commercial aircraft with major sinus issues! It catches up in the end apparently.

@bitingmidge are these the 2pack polysomething they rub together then ram into your lug hole, leave for about 10 minutes then just clean up?
Thats what I have excellent with the ride on, in the shed or when she starts yapping.
Top market ones also have speakers built in for your Ipod music.

We used to wear Airmed headsets when in the caribous, they worked well but they were bloody expensive, anything that could make a caribou comfortable was a bonus.
They were for comms and utilised a throat mike.
I seem to recall they were over $200 in 1970.
Our ride on mower is not that noisy so I don’t worry and the tractor exhaust is forward pointing at about 45 degrees to the ground.

@bunyip said in Pardon? Say again?:

anything that could make a caribou comfortable was a bonus.

In my experience, a bed of nails would make a Caribou comfortable.

@bitingmidge said in Pardon? Say again?:

Yep, the time has come when, despite leading an entirely sensible life some sort of auditory assistance is necessary.

I thought it sent you blind, not deaf.:laughing:

I thought it sent you blind, not deaf.

Must be all the moaning I’ve had to put up with… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Ted must be deaf. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When I was young (a while ago obviously) I went to a Mental as Anything gig at a joint called the Stage Door Tavern. In Sydney. It wasn’t far from the Capitol Theater.

Anyway, there I was standing in a rare spacious place in the room thinking I’d jagged a good possie until…the band started up and I realised I was standing in front of the speaker stack. Fuck!!!

I’ve been half deaf in that ear ever since.

(Btw, the Stage Door Tavern closed not verry many years later as it was a certain death firetrap.

administrators

I’m sorry to hear about this Midge.

I’m only deaf periodically. When I’m reading or concentrating, I just don’t hear anything. Much to the chagrin of my wife.

@cliff-rogers said in Pardon? Say again?:

What are/were they?

What are/were they?

Try shouting, Cliff.
HEY @shy-ted WHAT KIND OF EAR MUFFS ARE THEY?

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.