One for the watch aficionados

Which sites do you use for your watch shopping? Chrono24? Is there a better one?

Chrono24 has an excellent reputation however don’t forget that you will pay 10% GST plus a fee if you buy from overseas on anything over $1,000.00 including freight. That may shortly change to anything imported.

Nicholas Hacko in Castelreigh St Sydney is well spoken of in Horological (read watch) circles. If you tell him what you are looking for he will contact you before putting an item on the open market.

Depending on what you are looking for you will find that the authorised dealers of particular brands, and most of the higher end general dealers, hold a stock of “Pre Owned” read second hand trade ins or investment watches in extremely good condition, some totally unworn.

last edited by Termite

Are you talking new or antique watches, for the latter I have a multitude of books on what and who is who.
Having said that I recently acquired a like new Tissot PRC200 for $240.00, it is genuine and Csh Converters stuffed up big time on that sale.
Now 2 Tissot, 1 Hanowa and 1 Rolex aside from about another 50 pocket watches about 30% of which are fusee.
I trawl ebay and gumtree along with garage sales and clearing sales looking to add to my clock and watch collection, I google a name when interested and follow most sites that come up.
There are a lot of pitfalls and a lot of good copies that can be hard to detect, also a bunch of thieves passing off shit pocket watches as something precious.

Yeah thanks. I’d forgotten about the Libs introducing the GST on overseas purchases. Seems most of the watches on Chrono24 are from overseas.

I’m a totally newbie at this. I’m thinking about buying a 1970’s Omega Geneve Day Date. Reason being I had one when I was a youngster and it was stolen. I’ve always thought I’d like to replace it one day.

Beware bamboo mainsprings, a few things to look for (not an Omega collector but pretty sure they are similar to Rolex), watch the movement of the second hand, should be a smooth action and not one or half second shunts, the date magnifier should magnify the entire number and not almost all of it, the lettering on the face should be raised and not printed, same with the numbers, there are other finer points but too many to list.

Yeah, that’s the thing about Chrono24. The offerings are gauranteed to be what they say they are. Or so I’m lead to believe.

I wouldn’t buy a watch off eBay. Or a street hawker in Bangkok for that matter ;)

last edited by Craig
administrators

@craig said in One for the watch aficionados:

I wouldn’t buy a watch off eBay. Or a street hawker in Bangkok for that matter

You can get some excellent Rolexes (or is it Rolexi?) In Thailand.

Course you can. If you go to a Rolex store you’ll probably even get a genuine one.

@bunyip said in One for the watch aficionados:

(not an Omega collector but pretty sure they are similar to Rolex), watch the movement of the second hand, should be a smooth action and not one or half second shunts,

Nope, on Omega watches the second hand moves in seconds, not continuously like Rolex.

OK, like I said, no Omegas here, another thing is glue lines on straps, imitations tend to be a bit sloppy and it has squeezed out a bit, genuine this simply does not happen, the good imitations are very hard to spot though and even experts can be fooled but you don’t get a good imitation for $100, I have seen good rolex clones selling for around $3-4k, around 1/3-1/4 of genuine.
China has a Rolax watch along with the Land Wind Rangerover clone.

@enter-username said in One for the watch aficionados:

(not an Omega collector but pretty sure they are similar to Rolex), watch the movement of the second hand, should be a smooth action and not one or half second shunts,

Nope, on Omega watches the second hand moves in seconds, not continuously like Rolex.

I suggest that you look a little deeper into Omega watches. If you are looking for an Omega that steps the seconds there is a 99% chance that you are looking for a Quartz Omega. Automatic Omega watches in the modern era work on the, almost standard, 28,800 beats frequency the same as a Rolex which breaks a second down into 8 steps which almost looks continuous.

However, during the “Quartz Panic” when Seiko threw the Swiss watch industry into almost a complete meltdown, and frightened quite a few manufacturers to dabble in quarts watches, Omega and even Rolex produced some quartz watches. Unfortunately during this time the Omega company, as it was then but since changed, panicked, and started reducing the frequency of operation of some of their automatic watches, 6steps/sec, 4steps/sec, in an attempt to make their watches last longer by not wearing out so quickly. They even sub contracted a lot of manufacture to try and cut costs which caused the Omega watches from those years to have a lousy reputation.

Now to throw another spanner into the works, some manufacturers in the past thought it would be a novel idea to make what is known as a ‘second stepper’ automatic watch, and yes even Rolex dabbled for a while, and there is currently a single model available from another manufacturer, and this watch, as it’s name suggests, does step the seconds.

So unfortunately Enter Username, your statement regarding the movement of an Omega watch is not quite correct. If you look further at the list of movements Omega has used over the years you would be amazed. Now, thanks to a change of ownership some time ago, Omega watches are up there among the prestige watches of the world, and priced accordingly.

Edit. There is only one watch currently produced that has the second hand in a true smooth continuous sweep, and it is one of the Grand Seiko models powered by a movement which is named a “Spring Drive” but is far more sophisticated that its name suggests.

last edited by Termite

As an aside Rolex have a poverty model called the Tudor, without looking further Omega probably have one too.
Seiko are much the same with Seiko/Citizen and are part of the Seiko Epson group, I have a vague recollection that Diawa is in the mix too.
I used to have a Seiko Sailing Chronograph (automatic) but it stopped working and was going to cost more to fix than it was worth so I ditched it, probably should have hung onto it but this was in the mid 70’s and the first LED watches were making an appearance (remember them?)

Yes it’s quite remarkable the intricacies of brand ownership in the watch industry, it’s very similar to the ownership of car brands.
The Tudor brand is not so much a poverty model Rolex as it is run under a completely self contained organisation under the corporate umbrella of Rolex, which is not actually a corporation as it is a charity. Omega itself does not have a "Poverty " model but read further about it’s parent company Swatch.

The Epson group is a corporate minefield with the separate groups Seiko and Citizen only being part of it. Seiko is broken into Seiko, and recently Grand Seiko, and also includes Lorus as well as their proprietary movements sold to other manufacturers. Citizen actually manufactures more watches than Seiko, as well as producing Orient and several other brands. A major part of Citizen’s business is the manufacture of Miyota watch movements which are in great demand for use by many small watch manufacturers due to the Swiss ETA movements being increasingly restricted from sale by their parent company the Swatch group.
The Swatch group encompasses the brands Omega, Longines, Tissot, Breguet, Harry Winston, Blancpain, Glashutte Original, Rado, and another 11 brands including Kalvin Klein and Swatch itself.

last edited by Termite

Hang on, I’ll just check the Omega on my wrist… Yep, it definitely moves every second, not in a continuous sweep.

That’s is due to the action of yer wrist. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@enter-username said in One for the watch aficionados:

Hang on, I’ll just check the Omega on my wrist… Yep, it definitely moves every second, not in a continuous sweep.

What model Omega is it, have a look on the back.

administrators

@cliff-rogers said in One for the watch aficionados:

That’s is due to the action of yer wrist. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

More like 10 times a second, for 7 seconds and then the money shot.

@termite said in One for the watch aficionados:

What model Omega is it, have a look on the back.

It is a Seamaster.

To be completely honest, it isn’t on my wrist and hasn’t been for some time.

It has been replaced by a watch like device which offers a lot more functionality.

The wife has the same device on her wrist and her Tag is in the safe with my Omega.

Having said that I recently acquired a like new Tissot PRC200 for $240.00,

Does the PRC in that model stand for People’s Republic of China? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mick

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.