DigitalOcean
administrators

I’ve set up the new site using Digital Ocean (https://www.digitalocean.com/). They provide virtual machines that run on solid state drives at really great prices.

I’m running the shed on 1GB of ram, 32GB of SSD and a single CPU at the cost of $10 a month.

Given the way that NodeBB is written, most of the work is done on your browser rather than by the server so the relatively low spec of the VM is adequate for the current load.

Digital Ocean is only for geeks tho as you’ll have to be able to drive Linux from the command line.

The words are actually English, but the content is a foreign language. Insert scratch head smiley thingy here.

Mick

administrators

What? You don’t speak geek?

I can’t speak it if I can’t decipher it in aural or written form now, can I?

Mick the luddite.

Beware of Geeks bearing gifts…

@bunyip said in DigitalOcean:

Beware of Geeks bearing gifts…

Odd that, in Dutch the word “gift” means “poison”. It is pronounced slightly differently though, the “g” makes a sound that can usually only be made by a native Dutch speaker. Unkind persons have suggested it sounds like someone clearing their throat. Fortunately I haven’t come across any geeks bearing gifts or poisons.

Mick

Linux, now I recognise that/him. He was a character in both the “peanuts” comic strips and in the bible. WTF he has to do with computers I don’t know.

Mick

That was Linus in Peanuts.

Linux is named after Linus Torvalds. Who basically reverse engineered Unix and made it freely available to the masses.

But you probably know this :)

@Craig said in DigitalOcean:

That was Linus in Peanuts.

Linux is named after Linus Torvalds. Who basically reverse engineered Unix and made it freely available to the masses.

But you probably know this :)

Reverse engineered a Unix? Do you mean to tell me someone figured out how to sew their wedding tackle back on?:zap:

@Termite said in DigitalOcean:

Reverse engineer

Reverse engineering is taking apart an object to see how it works in order to duplicate or enhance the object.

I tried that with my pet tortise. It did not go well…

@Cliff-Rogers said in DigitalOcean:

@Termite said in DigitalOcean:

Reverse engineer

Reverse engineering is taking apart an object to see how it works in order to duplicate or enhance the object.

Well aware of this but wasn’t letting it fuck a joke. :)

Nice.
Some of the stuff I’m doing at the moment could be compiled to Linux, but I don’t know the first thing about it. Windows is the main platform I use (for server and desktop) and ios and android for mobile … and then of course there’s all the web (browser) stuff.
I think I must be a jack of all trades and a master of none.

last edited by Joker
administrators

If you want cheap hosting then you really need to go Linux. The internet is largely run on Linux.

I’ve been using in Unix/Linux for 30+ years. Hardly an expert but I know enough to be able to Google what I want to do.

I’ve been using unix for quite a few, but …errrr its buried in the Mac OS.

Since I know nothing about linux, I presume it’s beyond my capacity - that is to say, I really don’t want to learn… but the savings I’d make over a period of time might be enough to warrant paying someone! hmmmm…

administrators

There isn’t really any point to using Linux on your desktop unless you’re a geek.

It has < 2% of the market and while it mostly works well there are times when you just have to get down and dirty with the command line.

Not thinking of the desktop, more the web server…

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.