Alan Joyce and that pie incident.

I suppose most of you saw that toss pot shove a pie in Alan’s face on account of the fact that being a brain dead wanker gave him the right to protest the pro marriage stance taken by Qantas. Anyway hopefully he gets a few charges but for once I took the time to write to Alan on his Qantas email, much to my surprise I got a real response, most likely someone on his behalf doing the leg work with a few standard responses to the usual punters putting in their two bobs worth but it is nice sometimes to get something back that actually addresses what was said in the first place. there are a few politicians that could learn something from that.

Good to hear, and don’t discount the personal input from the bloke. If he’s as good as I think he is, someone else may have written the response, but it would have been at his direction.

On a similar note - a family close to us living in the US had a ten year old son in a coma and in a critical condition last month (thankfully he is now recovering). Kid was a fan of former president Obama. A friend of the family wrote explaining the situation, and the big bloke took time out to write a message of encouragement!

Ditto - Supercoach Wayne Bennet. After the now famous Australian Story a decade or more ago, my sister in law wrote to say “thanks for exposing yourself and your family, it was great for our teenage son to see”. More than six months later, one evening while she was cooking dinner, the phone rang - the man himself thanking her, and asked to have a few words with “the Lad”.

Unbelievable stuff all round - I truly hope if ever any of us are in those positions, we would react similarly - but I doubt it!

You guys are too nice. I have gone out of my way to fly and defend QANTAS. But… Under his management it has gone to hell down market. No routes to Europe via the US. Want to fly AKL/LAX/LHR- yes - but only if you come back to Oz and transit DXB. Killed the BA alliance. Nah. Bollocks.

@MurrayD99 said in Alan Joyce and that pie incident.:

You guys are too nice. I have gone out of my way to fly and defend QANTAS. But… Under his management it has gone to hell down market. No routes to Europe via the US. Want to fly AKL/LAX/LHR- yes - but only if you come back to Oz and transit DXB. Killed the BA alliance. Nah. Bollocks.

Hmmm… fancy cancelling non-profit making routes, what a novel way to run an airline! ::wink:

We went recently to the US on a United Dreamliner really good service, internally we did a couple of flights one Delta, one United, the internal aircraft are cramped and much like an airborne bus in that there is a toilet down the back and FA service. The Dreamliner was great. We fly with Singapore more often the Qantas, to be honest we really don’t get to bothered with which airline, I don’t see flights as any more than a means to an end, as a long as a route is serviced does it really matter who is currently serviced so long as their safety record is good.

@bitingmidge And yet, American and United have since resumed flying the NZ - US route. It seems to me that execs on the move do not innovate: they simply apply what they did last… If their experience is in budget airlines they will transform the one they now work for into a budget airline. It might be a survival strategy but it isn’t worth more than a C-.

@MurrayD99 said in Alan Joyce and that pie incident.:

And yet, American and United have since resumed flying the NZ - US route. It seems to me that execs on the move do not innovate

From Wtop (Washington’s Top News) “With the new and presumably more business-friendly Trump administration now in Washington, American (Airline) officials also said they would revive a previously rejected bid to work more closely with Australian carrier Qantas. The airlines want to work together on setting prices and schedules, which is forbidden without an exemption from antitrust laws. The Obama administration rejected immunity for the deal.”

Hmmm…

@bitingmidge said in Alan Joyce and that pie incident.:

The airlines want to work together on setting prices and schedules, which is forbidden without an exemption from antitrust laws. The Obama administration rejected immunity for the deal."

That sounds like a great thing for consumers … :worried:

@joker can you imagine a government which would allow an exemption? Oh wait… there’s always the “business-friendly” Trump admin… but why doesn’t NZ intervene? ACCC would be licking it’s chops!

Airlines are actually already great things for consumers, it’s a historical fact that the sum total of money lost in the aviation industry exceeds the total profits made by a healthy margin, yet we continue to buy fares which are subsidised by deductions brought forward by the purchase of new planes!

I’ve got no issue with a business making a profit, but collusion is a different kettle of fish.

Having said that, if a business can’t make a profit then it needs to change strategy/business model, or get out of the game completely.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.