Image editing software

I’ve always used photoshop for simple editing. I’m not a photo guru but sometimes I want to edit a photo. As I’ve a newly formatted hard drive do i stick with Photoshop or swap to something new?

I use Gimp, which is sort of a poor man’s Photoshop, I think. Seems to do quite a lot, & it’s free. You can always download it & give it a try - it’s free.

GIMP id good but can be a bastard to drive, Lightroom seems to be popular which is a light version of full blown PS although I use Corel Paintshop Pro X9 which is very user friendly.

administrators

If you want simple color correction, enhancement, straightening, light adjustment, blemish removal and the like then Lightroom is the bee’s knees.

99% of the time I use Lightroom and for the other 1% of the time I can’t be fucked bothering to fix the photo.

I like Lightroom now. There are things I don’t like about it, but it’s what @dog says, easy to use and to learn at the basic level - the cataloguing isn’t bad, and it comes with photoshop.

I don’t like Adobe’s subscription thing - it costs about $12 per month.

I shall investigate this lightroom of which you speak. Sometimes I need to take out part of the background cos I’m a shit photoer with a phone for my photoing.

@Outback said in Image editing software:

I shall investigate this lightroom of which you speak. Sometimes I need to take out part of the background cos I’m a shit photoer with a phone for my photoing.

Since the basic (cheapest) lightroom subscription comes with photoshop, and you can edit with photoshop within lightroom, that’s a doddle - but I’ve only done it once.

Is Lightroom any more functional than the Canon digital processing software? I got a D7 a while back and am using that for simple edits. Can’t justify Photoshop.

@MurrayD99 said in Image editing software:

Is Lightroom any more functional than the Canon digital processing software? I got a D7 a while back and am using that for simple edits. Can’t justify Photoshop.

Yes.

And it comes bundled with Photoshop (no choice) for about $12 NZ per month. You can’t buy it outright any more.

You can buy Corel X9 outright and it is as versatile as PS and a hell of a lot cheaper.
It does have some PS in it and the tutorials are easy to follow for more complex manouvres.

administrators

@bunyip said in Image editing software:

Corel X9

From my reading the RAW processing of Corel is poor to the point where you’d be better off doing the captures in JPG.

With the D7 I’d suggest that you’d get the most out of it shooting RAW (just stay away from the mirrors).

@dog said in Image editing software:

just stay away from the mirrors

Scare yerself did you?:trollface:

administrators

@Cliff-Rogers said in Image editing software:

@dog said in Image editing software:

just stay away from the mirrors

Scare yerself did you?:trollface:

No. When I shared the photo…

@dog yes, set to take RAW and convert to jpeg to print. Don’t have a decent printer but have had good results from the Fuji store service. No mirrors - Jeez!

administrators

Then Lightroom is your friend.

@dog said in Image editing software:

@Cliff-Rogers said in Image editing software:

@dog said in Image editing software:

just stay away from the mirrors

Scare yerself did you?:trollface:

No. When I shared the photo…

Yeah, I saw that pic - eeeergh!

alt text

Mick

last edited by JMick

Nasty disease that blurry dick syndrome…

@bunyip said in Image editing software:

Nasty disease that blurry dick syndrome…

Yes, it can polish you off.

Muzza, I also have just got an EOS 7D to. You can set it to take both raw (CR2) and jpeg at the same time. You can then have a quick look at the jpeg image and if it doesn’t need to be nicely edited you can crop it or whatever & re-save. However, if it needs a lot of editing - e.g. white balance, brightness, contrast etc, you can open it using DPP, do your editing and if you wish, save it as a jpeg or tiff. You can then save your raw file with or without the changes. Whichever of the above you do, your original .CR2 file will be accessible.

@Shy-Ted I started with the 7D set for jpeg then decided to shoot RAW and transfer everything to a PC. I only convert the ones I want to print. DPP (I might have this wrong) seems to be good with RAW but to edit jpegs you need something better than what shipped with the camera. Could be this is the Lightroom slot. Love the 7D. Got a 35/1.4 and a 17-40L. Traded my A-1.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.