Nylon Strings?

What do you recommend?

I haven’t owned a nylon string guitar for 42 years.

I use La Bella gold with the wound 3rd, gold plated and polished so you don’t get the buzz when sliding, Daddario is popular but I find them a bit harsh.
The 3rd can be a bit flat and LaBella have overcome this, About $20 or $100 for the concert set.
The two nylon trebles are yellow.

Thanks.

I think I used to use La Bella last century.

OK, where do you find the sets with the wound G?

I can find the 850 & 900 sets with Gold alloy wound string & either black or gold nylon but none have a wound G…

Mine are the LaBella Gold 900, bought a heap of them a few years ago but don’t recall where from, will have a sniff around.

Found these on the LaBella website, seems the numbers have changed a bit, I used to buy the 3rd by itself then it came in the set and now it looks like it is separate again.
I believe the black and gold sound the same but I have always found the black to be distracting, don’t know why.
http://www.labella.com/strings/category/elite

last edited by bunyip

I remember reading a book called ‘A Life on the Road’ by Julian Bream and it was he who talked about the 3rd being ‘tubby’, I had the same problem and thought it was just me and I went looking for the wound third that he described but no name.
That was back in about 1982, I found them after some searching and found that not only did they sound better but the gold plated strings lasted longer, I could get a month out of golds but only a week if I was lucky out of nickels as they just corroded through and broke, I was doing my AMEB exams at the time and was playing 8-12 hours a day.
Another one I found was Savarez, my Maton came with them but I never liked them and found the tension too high and hard on the fingers but I know they are popular too.

There is a set called 850W but I can’t find any in stock online.

I’ve made a couple of calls and will get an answer tomorrow.

Tried 2 music shops in Cairns today, no La Bella, they did have Savarez but not with a wound G.
I’ll hit the internet again tomorrow.

Got a call from my guitar bloke today, LaBella don’t have any wounf G sets in Aus and if they order they wont be here until about March, shit…
I am on my last set so may start looking elsewhere, he suggested stringsonline a US website, I haven’t looked but maybe worthwhile, in the meantime do you remember how to tie strings onto the bridge…
I push the loose ends under the loops in the adjoining terminations as loose strings will buzz on the soundboard which is bloody annoying.

I can’t find them in stock anywhere.
Even the individual wound G aren’t in stock.

One forum I read a bloke who used the get the 900W set has gone back to the 900 set as they are easier to get.

These are lighter but the freight is a killer.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/La-Bella-850W-Elite-Classical-Guitar-Strings-Medium-Wound-3rd-Gold-Nylon-6-SETS/323455321395?epid=783449193&hash=item4b4f708533:g:CAgAAOSw0JVborZE:rk:5:pf:0

Getting a set of Daddario composites, the G is different from the others and they are silver plated, about $40 a set, will see how they go.
I think the G is multi strand with a wound cover, will see later this week if they are in on time.

I got this from another forum from a classical player.

I’ve been using D’Addario EJ 45 in normal tension for a decade or so.

Been pretty good - the high tension version can be tricky on some guitars - bridge starts lifting etc - can be louder and some people like the stiffness

As somebody else said, the Augustines are good too.

last edited by Cliff Rogers

I think you two blokes are just stringing us along.

You only came in here looking for nylon.

Now his G string is too tight and can impact on the nuts although I only have one.

Having never used a plectrum are they abrasive and will they shorten the life of a nylon string?

@bunyip said in Nylon Strings?:

Having never used a plectrum are they abrasive and will they shorten the life of a nylon string?

I’m not sure but you will definitely have the union on your back.

@bunyip said in Nylon Strings?:

Most are made out of similar stuff, the sting tends to lose its tone before it wears out.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.