Pizza ovens (wood fired)

Have bitten the lead projectile and decided to buy a wood fired pizza oven, holy shit there are a lot to choose from but given our area we wanted something that can be moved around so decided on a stainless insulated unit with a firebrick base.
The prices and sizes vary a lot and a nice one is available from Wildcat Industries, locally made and very well made I may add with a lot of models to confuse you, start at about $2100 and go up from there.
We found two others that were similar dimensions but one was wide and shallow whereas the other was narrow and deep, we have pretty much opted for the wider model so you can build the fire to the side or both sides, has a door and a damped chimney.
Advertised for $1349 on ebay, $1199 in store and said it was ours for $999 cash, made in China from 304 SS looks well made and comes in at about 130kg, with stand, I can pick it up on the forks on the tractor and move it to wherever I want it although will roll around on the small castors outside the back door.
The refractory cement units are nice but not portable so we can’t take it out under the trees when we feel like it.
Just got to get some pavers down when it cools off a bit then ready to start cooking.
Will keep the Uuni 3 and take it away with us when we travel.

administrators

For that money, why wouldn’t you go a Kamado. Does other things beside smokin’ too.

You can only cook one pizza at at time in a Kamado, but how often do you want to cook 2 or 3 at once, Having bought a Kamado , given the small one, I have found a whole new range of cooking , and as dog said it ain’t for just smoking.

Beware of the Chinese SS, at least one S stand for Shit.

It rusts as you stand there looking at it.

We have a smoker, ditched the bloody useless Weber Q and replaced it with a Ziegler Brown which is a Weber clone but actually works, a Kamodo looks difficult to cook pizza with and the traditional style appeals and the ability to damp it down and slow roast.
And bunnies have a refractory cement kit for $1100 if we decide not to go portable.
What is the problem with chinese 304? I thought 304 was 304.
The uuni is heavy 400 and something and there is the uuni pro at about $900 which will run on wood, pellets or gas.

last edited by bunyip

Chinese 304 is 三百四十 :D (and there’s the problem, right there, staring you down) :D

@bunyip said in Pizza ovens (wood fired):

What is the problem with chinese 304?

买者自负

Mǎi zhě zìfù

消费者必须亲自为产品负责

This is the locally made unit, firebrick base and back, local 304 SS.
http://www.mypizzaoven.com.au/pizza_oven_range/wildcat_3000_wood_fired_oven/

Oooo… that looks good. What price?

304 is basically the most used stainless 18/8 as it was called 18% chrome and 8% nickel, it comes in the austenitic so its easy to weld and to use, doesn’t need any prep to weld or annealing after. Not the best for use over 400 deg c for long periods, as you get corrosion , will pit and don’t be surprised if you get cracks, all sections should have full fillet welds or it will corrode along joints, Never used it at sea as it doesn’t like pressure or temp and beware if its 304-H as this shit has higher carbon content in it and will rust. 347 is a much better 'Marine" grade as its got 2% manganese and a niobium.

last edited by tolovar

All the yacht fittings are 316 on ours and the 304 on the pizza oven is the external skin so won’t get to those temps.
The Wildcat 3000 is $2150 with the stand, they are well made and locally made by a metal fabricating company, the 5000 is about the same price, the essential difference between the two is one is deep and the other wide but about the same internal dimensions.
The Uuni 3 we have literally glows a dull red at night with the pellets and is one of the 400 series SS, can’t remember the number.

administrators

We have a smoker, ditched the bloody useless Weber Q and replaced it with a Ziegler Brown which is a Weber clone but actually works, a Kamodo looks difficult to cook pizza with and the traditional style appeals and the ability to damp it down and slow roast.
And bunnies have a refractory cement kit for $1100 if we decide not to go portable.
What is the problem with chinese 304? I thought 304 was 304.
The uuni is heavy 400 and something and there is the uuni pro at about $900 which will run on wood, pellets or gas.

It not hard at all to do a pizza. Just don’t cook it at 800 degrees like that bloke in the video you posted.
Does smoking, slow cooking, pizzas and shitloads more.

Food is fucking fantastic.

Had steaks and asparagus on the Kamado tonight.

Our Uuni gets up to 450+C and cooks a pizza in about 1 minute and they are great but being compact has a few drawbacks like burnt hands when touching bits you thought you were going to miss, I remember the one you are talking about and that was just overloaded to buggery just like a lot of pizza shops with the double cheese plus some extra cheese then topped with more cheese on top of 6" of greasy salami and assorted veges.
I mastered the Uuni with the rotation but will feel happier doing it at a bit of a distance as I have no hair left to singe and it is a bastard to clean, will go well on holidays though.
The gas pizza oven is going too as that is another useless piece of kit that I wouldn’t buy again.
The Ziggy BBQ is a single burner and we bought it for the caravan but it gets used at home and has a stand so that’s where it stays until we head off and it goes in the back of the ute.
And of course nothing like sitting in front of an open oven with a decent beer in hand when the pizzas are done.
A Kamado may follow but it will be a while I think.

Edit: I forgot the bloody awful shredded ham on commercial pizzas, right up there with that other culinary abomination… Chicken Salt.

last edited by bunyip

I’ve often heard 304 referred to as “freshwater stainless”. Which is about right, won’t rust if exposed to freshwater, but will rust quite quickly when exposed to saltwater or other corrosive environments. From memory self tapping screws are all 304, bolts can be 304 or 316.

Mick

304 will rust if a cat pisses on it.

We use cat repellent, called dogs, haven’t seen a cat at home in years (12 Shepherds at the moment, any takers, had 9 pups).

@jmick said in Pizza ovens (wood fired):

I’ve often heard 304 referred to as “freshwater stainless”. Which is about right, won’t rust if exposed to freshwater, but will rust quite quickly when exposed to saltwater or other corrosive environments. From memory self tapping screws are all 304, bolts can be 304 or 316.

Mick

cHANDLERS CARRY 316 IN EVERYTHING INCLUDING self tappers, I have used them for deck fittings where there is only shear force such as antenna bases etc but never for hyeavy duty items like winches.
Not being a metallurgist I think 304 is stronger than 316.

administrators

I remember the one you are talking about and that was just overloaded to buggery just like a lot of pizza shops with the double cheese plus some extra cheese then topped with more cheese on top of 6" of greasy salami and assorted veges.

Less is more with pizzas.

@jmick said in Pizza ovens (wood fired):

Mick

cHANDLERS CARRY 316 IN EVERYTHING INCLUDING self tappers, I have used them for deck fittings where there is only shear force such as antenna bases etc but never for hyeavy duty items like winches.
Not being a metallurgist I think 304 is stronger than 316.

No 316 has molly in it , about 2% and a higher nickle content , so it is classed as a Marine Grade, and with the molly the strength and corrosion resistance is better,

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.