Pizza ovens (wood fired)

I’ve often heard 304 referred to as “freshwater stainless”. Which is about right, won’t rust if exposed to freshwater, but will rust quite quickly when exposed to saltwater or other corrosive environments. From memory self tapping screws are all 304, bolts can be 304 or 316.

Mick

304 will rust if a cat pisses on it.

We use cat repellent, called dogs, haven’t seen a cat at home in years (12 Shepherds at the moment, any takers, had 9 pups).

@jmick said in Pizza ovens (wood fired):

I’ve often heard 304 referred to as “freshwater stainless”. Which is about right, won’t rust if exposed to freshwater, but will rust quite quickly when exposed to saltwater or other corrosive environments. From memory self tapping screws are all 304, bolts can be 304 or 316.

Mick

cHANDLERS CARRY 316 IN EVERYTHING INCLUDING self tappers, I have used them for deck fittings where there is only shear force such as antenna bases etc but never for hyeavy duty items like winches.
Not being a metallurgist I think 304 is stronger than 316.

administrators

@bunyip said in Pizza ovens (wood fired):

I remember the one you are talking about and that was just overloaded to buggery just like a lot of pizza shops with the double cheese plus some extra cheese then topped with more cheese on top of 6" of greasy salami and assorted veges.

Less is more with pizzas.

@jmick said in Pizza ovens (wood fired):

Mick

cHANDLERS CARRY 316 IN EVERYTHING INCLUDING self tappers, I have used them for deck fittings where there is only shear force such as antenna bases etc but never for hyeavy duty items like winches.
Not being a metallurgist I think 304 is stronger than 316.

No 316 has molly in it , about 2% and a higher nickle content , so it is classed as a Marine Grade, and with the molly the strength and corrosion resistance is better,

And you shift the decimal point on the price across to right one place, another two for aircraft grade.

Most watches use 316L but Rolex use 904L, not as hard as 316L but due to the increased Chrome, Molybdenum, Nickel , and Copper it polishes to a higher lustre, and is more resistant to body acids than 316L.

We use cat repellent, called dogs

304 will rust if a dog pisses on it.

They’d want to get their legs up pretty high…

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.