how to fix a sagging clothes line (contains fish)

I eventually got sick of nearly hanging myself every time I went past our clothes line, so did something about it. First we went to the beach and found a few rocks with tiny little holes in them.

Then carefully selecting all our left over verandah timber, set to work making some levers.

Pulley + lever + stone gives a nice tension on the line with enough give to make even the most discerning housewife happy.

0_1551233962032_2019_02_13 at 10-11-58.jpg

0_1551234000438_2019_02_13 at 10-12-08.jpg

I like your garden tool selection.
Where do you find rocks with holes and are you sure the little parasite has departed, hate to think what it could do to the dust extraction system if it got away.
I do like the idea but two questions:

1. Where does the line attach, is it between the two pulleys on two lines.
  2. Roughly what do the rocks weigh?
last edited by bunyip

@bunyip Found the rocks with holes on my drill press table. Sandstone is easy to drill.

There is one pulley per line, levers give between 4 and 8 to one mechanical advantage, rocks vary in weight between about half a kilo and a kilogram.

Midge i’m starting to think that you’re the sort of bloke that gives us other blokes a bad name.

Something fishy going on there.

That’s some nice and interesting work. Well done.

I think I can visualise the fish but can we get a pic of the back, interested in the pulley etc, I think it is a piece of angle across the top that supports the fish, am I correct?

@bunyip The fish (let’s call them levers, because there was a time when they were going to be birds…) sit on an aluminium angle. I’ve used a 3mm 25x25 - The force on it depends on where the balance point is so it needs to have a bit of robustness.- if for whatever reason you want to reduce the mechanical advantage and move the line towards the tail, you will have quite a lot of lateral force trying to topple it.

Note that I’ve adjusted the amount of cantilever by design, so the lines are pretty much vertical.

The levers just sit there, allow plenty of clearance for them, if someone gets over-exuberant with the line they’ll end up. toppling over, so a stopper on the line or a wire tie down onto the angle to stop them lifting would be smart. We haven’t needed either in normal use, but then the grandchildren haven’t visited yet either.

In my case all the balance points are different because I wanted them to stick out different differences. The small fish (Nemo) came about because I was using left over verandah floor timber and ran out.

Hope this makes it clearer, please say so if not _

0_1551317023521_2019_02_28 at 11-12-37.jpg

0_1551317070588_2019_02_28 at 11-13-55.jpg

0_1551317114507_2019_02_12 at 17-31-59.jpg

administrators

There is something fishy going on there

prefer to leave this missus holding onto the rope

Very clever and funky.
Also a clear sign that you’ve got far too much time on your hands. If I were faced with the same problem I’d either:
a. ignore it until the nagging got too painful, or
b. tie a truckie’s hitch in the line to take up the slack.

Noice work though!

Mick

All very clever, Midge. Utility doesn’t have to be ugly. These are cool.

That’s one of the best things I’ve seen for a while, Midge. Cheered me up no end. Well done!

Thanks all… I do have some more utilitarian things to get on with… bed, sideboards, coffee tables, dust collection… but hope to have a bit more time for stuff like this. It’ll have to wait till my next time back here though! :D

@bitingmidge said in how to fix a sagging clothes line (contains fish):

Thanks all… I do have some more utilitarian things to get on with… bed, sideboards, coffee tables, dust collection… but hope to have a bit more time for stuff like this. It’ll have to wait till my next time back here though! :D

Dust collection? Pull the other one! :)

Mick

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.