Everyone excited now that the election has been called?
administrators

Any highlights for you so far?

local MP posts brag newsletter about Ive done this etc. He has raised money for new leisure centre here, problem being the day his newsletter went out, the builder went up shit creek.

Voting day is right in the middle of our next cruise, have applied for postal votes.

How do you post a vote form from out at sea? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

administrators

@cliff-rogers said in Everyone excited now that the election has been called?:

How do you post a vote form from out at sea? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Drones

@dog said in Everyone excited now that the election has been called?:

Drones

Yep, that’s the candidates, but how do you vote?

@shy-ted said in Everyone excited now that the election has been called?:

, but how do you vote?

In my case it really doesn’t matter. I live in a safer than safe LNP electorate. So, if I don’t want an LNP person to win. Too f’nen bad. But that’s our democracy.

Pretty much the same here Craig except that it’s a safe Labor seat. At the recent state election the libs didn’t even bother to have people handing out the usual how to vote slips at most of the polling sites, waste of money printing them.
We’ve applied for postal votes to be sent before we leave because the carrier pigeons on board ship can’t handle the load of the massive senate paper.

Early voting eligibility
You can vote early either in person or by post if on election day you:

• are outside the electorate where you are enrolled to vote
  • are more than 8km from a polling place
  • are travelling
  • are unable to leave your workplace to vote
  • are seriously ill, infirm or due to give birth shortly (or caring for someone who is)
  • are a patient in hospital and can’t vote at the hospital
  • have religious beliefs that prevent you from attending a polling place
  • are in prison serving a sentence of less than three years or otherwise detained
  • are a silent elector
  • have a reasonable fear for your safety.

Can anyone tell me what a ‘silent elector’ is?

Once again we’ve been cheated out of our democratic entitlement - we leave Aus on 27th, early voting starts on 29th. Nearest polling place for us will be either Brussels or Paris. Gotta love the way governments embrace the modern electronic age.

@craig said in Everyone excited now that the election has been called?:

, but how do you vote?

In my case it really doesn’t matter. I live in a safer than safe LNP electorate. So, if I don’t want an LNP person to win. Too f’nen bad. But that’s our democracy.

Don’t forget voting 1 someone else, gives them their ~$3 of public funding denies it to someone else

@bitingmidge

• are a silent elector

Aren’t they people protected on electoral roll from lookups - police, witness protection, judges, etc?

last edited by tqft

@tqft said in Everyone excited now that the election has been called?:

Aren’t they people protected on electoral roll from lookups - police, witness protection, judges, etc?

Dunno… that’s why I asked the question! :D Maybe next time the “prosecution” papers turn up in the mail, I can claim I did vote but it was silent so they didn’t hear.

AEC has contacted me to see if I wanted to work for them again (last election was the 1st time). I updated my details online and indicted that I’d be available. They’ve gotten back to me and apparently I’m going to be 2IC at the local polling place. That’s a bit of a highlight for me.

Mick

@jmick said in Everyone excited now that the election has been called?:

AEC has contacted me to see if I wanted to work for them again (last election was the 1st time). I updated my details online and indicted that I’d be available. They’ve gotten back to me and apparently I’m going to be 2IC at the local polling place. That’s a bit of a highlight for me.

Mick

@jmick said in Everyone excited now that the election has been called?:

Mick
so a few $$ under the table a new table saw arrives from anonymous friend and all safe bets out the window for your seat.

@bitingmidge said in Everyone excited now that the election has been called?:

Gotta love the way governments embrace the modern electronic age.

My son voted online during the last NSW state election. Not sure if it’s an option for federal elections.

iVote (I kid you not), is a NSW thing. No online voting allowed in Fed.

@bitingmidge you might be shocked to learn I hang out with a lot of computer nerds online at time.
Considered opinion, online voting - no. Electronic voting (eg machines in poll booths) - no.
Maybe one day, but not this year.
iVote in particular, not only was the software underneath shown to have holes, even though theoretically secure, the rest of the bugs and the way they handled it did not inspire confidence.
The Swiss org that manages voting, used the same underlying software for online voting.
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/crypto-trapdoor-found-in-swiss-e-voting-system-520440
2nd flaw
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/second-flaw-found-in-swiss-e-voting-system-522869
it’s really hard to get right, even if you try

A warning this morning that if you receive in your letter box a form on which to apply for a postal vote, complete with return addressed envelope, the return envelope probably doesn’t go to the electoral office but to one of the parties. They will extract your details from the completed form before, hopefully, sending it on to the electoral office.

And these bastards expect us to trust them.

A warning this morning that if you receive in your letter box a form on which to apply for a postal vote, complete with return addressed envelope, the return envelope probably doesn’t go to the electoral office but to one of the parties. They will extract your details from the completed form before, hopefully, sending it on to the electoral office.

And these bastards expect us to trust them.

you listening to ABC as well

I have a feeling that much more than the normal dirty tricks will be seen this time around.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.