Another Bank rip-off

Was watching the checkout last night and didn’t realise that the tap and go features that every card now has, have a charge added every time you use it , if you insert your card and use your pin , no charge. another fucking bank rip off.

No wear in all the adds to use this feature have they ever said there is an added charge.
Now I have only used the feature once or twice, I’ll never use it again.

Huh?

A steak & mushroom pie & a large coffee to go is $9:70 if I pay cash or tap & go, doesn’t make any difference.

administrators

Some places charge extra for credit card purchases. Pay and Wave is a credit card purchase, even if it is on a debit card.

Most places don’t charge this fee but some do.

I’ve never been charged more, time to change banks I think.

@tolovar Which bank?

Or more to the point which retailer? I’ll wager it’s a retailer add-on.

Has never happened to us (ANZ - one of the very fancy Visa cards and a matching AMEX) Cheers,

P

@bitingmidge said in Another Bank rip-off:

more to the point which retailer? I’ll wager it’s a retailer add-on.

Yeah, that is what I suspect too, I wouldn’t blame the banks for it, their charges go on the merchant 's portion of the sale, not yours.
The laws changed some years ago to allow the merchant to pass the charge on.

Aldi charge.5% and Tasman Meats about 1%, they are the only two I know of but I’m sure there are more.
I simply won’t use a credit card when using these retailers.

As i said it was on "the checkout’ an ABC consumer show and do you check your bank statements against what you thought you paid for every tap and go purchase ? Do you get a receipt for your Tap and Go buys?

@tolovar said in Another Bank rip-off:

As i said it was on "the checkout’ an ABC consumer show and do you check your bank statements against what you thought you paid for every tap and go purchase ? Do you get a receipt for your Tap and Go buys?

Yes, I check the purchases.
I use tap and go on my phone pretty much exclusively now.
It immediately pops a receipt on my screen and I have never been charged extra.

I check my purchases on a daily basis just in case anyone has made a purchase on my behalf, to date everything tallies bar a $90 purchase I knew nothing about and I did get my money back after having the card cancelled and a new one issued.
I rarely keep receipts and remember to the cent how much I paid.
I have a Woolworths credit card which I use for most purchases because with the reward points we get about $40-50 a month back even though I pay it all back from my bank account the following day.
I suspect the banks don’t like people like me, I also use a screened wallet so my card cannot be scanned while in my pocket.

administrators

@Enter-Username said in Another Bank rip-off:

@tolovar said in Another Bank rip-off:

Yes, I check the purchases.
I use tap and go on my phone pretty much exclusively now.
It immediately pops a receipt on my screen and I have never been charged extra.

Ditto. The phone is great for making these small purchases.

Looks like your connection to The Blokey Shed was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.